Need a second advice (i got a new question)

MrKage

O Hai guize ^-^

My friend "built" this for me (on "paper" ) and then i ended up buying it in a rush because i thought the sale on the mobo and cpu combo was good (im clueless ) .... was supposed to wait for black friday >.<;;

just wondering if it all fits together ... would suck to end up with a mobo bigger than my tower and whatnot

can the psu handle my components?

pardon the noobness, i WILL read replies though

thanks for your time >_<;; <3

CPU : AMD Bulldozer FX-8120 8 Core Processor 3.1GHZ Socket AM3+ 125W Retail Box

MOBO : MSI 990FXA-GD80 ATX AM3+ 990FX DDR3 4PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 1PCI SLI CrossFire SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard

(got those two in a bundle here )

GPU : Visiontek Radeon HD 6970 2GB DDR5 2x DVI 2XMINIDP HDMI PCI-E DIRECTX11 Video Card

RAM : Kingston KHX1866C9D3K2/8G 8GB Kit 2X4GB 1866MHZ 240PIN DDR3 Non ECC CL9 1.65V Gold

PSU : Powercolor Gaming 600W Powersupply ATX 12V 80PLUS CrossFire SLI 120MM Fan Powersupply

Tower : Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case Black 3X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT No PS W/ Fan Controller & Temp Display

EDIT : if i read my old pc specs from manufacturer's website it describes my current harddrive as : 250 GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA II hard drive with 8 MB cache) and relying on newegg the mobo im ordering supports : SATA 6Gb/s 6 x SATA 6Gb/s SATA RAID 0/1/5/10 ... is it fair to assume my old HDD will work on my new machine? id rather not buy an HDD with current prices being inflated. if the answer is no is there some kind of adapter i can get me for it?

i wonder if the OEM windows installed on my gateway pc will work when i switch the HDD i have yet to order windows 7 home 64bit OEM from tigerdirect or something

Edited by MrKage

hey there, and welcome to the occ!

all your parts look compatible, (not sure about running ram at that high speed on bd though)

to answer your question about the hdd, it will work in your new system, just plug it into the sata 2 port on your mobo

im not sure if the windows will work, if it does you will probably need to call microsoft cause it will start bugging you cause its in a new pc

but aside from that, it all looks ok

Thank you and thanks for the reply ... it was quick too

(not sure about running ram at that high speed on bd though)
im not sure what that means ... whats a "bd" ... i guess it means board? >.<;;

newegg says my mobo supports DDR3 800/1066/1333/1600/1800*/2133* (OC) and the ram specs are 1866 MHz is there a problem? :S

on a side note im really worried about the whole static / ground thing... any tutorials i could read? you think an apartment covered with cat hair is bad for building a pc? xD

Edited by MrKage

newegg says my mobo supports DDR3 800/1066/1333/1600/1800*/2133* (OC) and the ram specs are 1866 MHz is there a problem? :S

on a side note im really worried about the whole static / ground thing... any tutorials i could read? you think an apartment covered with cat hair is bad for building a pc? xD

Well, you could always pick up a grounding bracelet. There aren't any tutorials because normally you just touch a piece of grounded metal ie a PSU when it is plugged in. However, the bracelets are 5 bucks so its a good investment.

Edited by Tjj226_Angel

sorry, by bd i mean bulldozer, i havent paid it much attention so i wasnt sure if it could handle higher speed ram. the mobo may handle it but i think bulldozer has the ram i/o on die, so you will probs have to oc the cpu to use that speed

sorry, by bd i mean bulldozer, i havent paid it much attention so i wasnt sure if it could handle higher speed ram. the mobo may handle it but i think bulldozer has the ram i/o on die, so you will probs have to oc the cpu to use that speed

okay, ... i dont know anything about ram ... will this ram actually work if i put it in oc or not? i dont mind if it doesnt work at the said speed otherwise imma have to order another one ... im not planning to OC for now >.<;;

okay, ... i dont know anything about ram ... will this ram actually work if i put it in oc or not? i dont mind if it doesnt work at the said speed otherwise imma have to order another one ... im not planning to OC for now >.

The RAM will work fine. It will just be underclocked if the CPU doesn't support that speed, but the Bulldozer CPUs do natively support 1866 MHz. You're motherboard will support the RAM too, and that RAM is even listed in MSI's list of supported RAM. You may need to set the DRAM frequency manually to get the stock 1866 MHz speed, but this is only needed if you want it running at 1866 instead of 1600.

Basically, if you put all of the hardware in correctly, everything should be fine. The RAM may not be running at 1866 MHz, but it will run.

Update: I'm looking at the manual MSI has up for that board. On page 3-11 there is an image of the BIOS screen where the overclocking controls are. To get 1866 MHz you wouls want to change the DRAM Frequency setting from Auto to 933, which is one half of 1866. The Adjusted DRAM Frequency (directly below the DRAM Frequency option) should read 1866 MHz when you do this.

once again thanks for the help guys, its very appreciated ... if i have other questions i'll make sure to ask ... possibly in the proper forum section lol

should i go for this instead of what i posted up here? im wondering if those parts are about equivalent or quite bad ><;;

Edited by MrKage

once again thanks for the help guys, its very appreciated ... if i have other questions i'll make sure to ask ... possibly in the proper forum section lol

should i go for this instead of what i posted up here? im wondering if those parts are about equivalent or quite bad ><;;

Ehhhh it isn't perfect, but it will get the job done.

Honestly, I would go for an intel solution. The reason I say this is not because I have an intel bias, but rather it has to do with the Z68 chipset and srt caching. If you could jut take a look at the build list I will have below and the video I will have after that, I will show you why AMD isn't worth the money ("right now", so please don't crucify me.). Just take a look at what I have put together and then I will explain why you should go this route in detail.

Motherboard

Processor

Video card OR two of these

Ram

PSU

Keep your case, you found a great deal :thumbsup:

Now here are the videos you need to see to understand why I am telling you to go this route instead. Since you are on NCIX. com, I think you will recognize them :lol:

PLEASE WATCH THIS VIDEO ALL THE WAY THROUGH. This is the best video to understand what you are thinking about buying. I know he is annoying and long, but it is just too good of information to pass up.

This is another vastly important video. Video 3

(By the way, please show the videos to your friend. I am actually very interested to see what he has to say).

So let me explain why I chose this set up. You have your motherboard and processor for the same price as your cpu/mobo bundle, however, the board supports 2 pcie gen 3 slots. This means that you can upgrade to the new video cards coming out next year where as with bull dozer, you can't. The i5 beat out the 8150 CPU in a lot of bench marks, but because you are choosing the 8120, the i5 wins hands down. Not to mention that on top of all of that, you have the Z68 chip set that supports SRT technology. I hope you saw the video to understand how important that is. You get all of those wonderful factors for the same price, and there are NO draw backs. Period. So that is just a no brainier.

Next, I would recommend you go with two gtx 460s in SLI. You will get better performance, and it could save you the money you would need for the SSD used for the SRT caching. Do your research before you just blow off that idea, you will be surprised.

The ram you chose is a bit over kill. I don't think you are going to do much memory overclocking, and 1600mhz is just fine. For the same price you can double the amount of ram from 8 gb to 16 gb. That is another no brainier.

The PSU is a bit higher in wattage to support all the extra features, but ultimately the same cost.

Finally, here is an SSD for the SRT caching Agility 3

This sort of a system build will be faster, perform better, and has more features for upgrading than what you have now. It is just an all over better PC. I really hope you give this set up a serious consideration. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask :cheers:

EDIT : if i read my old pc specs from manufacturer's website it describes my current harddrive as : 250 GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA II hard drive with 8 MB cache) and relying on newegg the mobo im ordering supports : SATA 6Gb/s 6 x SATA 6Gb/s SATA RAID 0/1/5/10 ... is it fair to assume my old HDD will work on my new machine? id rather not buy an HDD with current prices being inflated. if the answer is no is there some kind of adapter i can get me for it?

i wonder if the OEM windows installed on my gateway pc will work when i switch the HDD i have yet to order windows 7 home 64bit OEM from tigerdirect or something

The hard drive will work fine, as any mechanical hard drive speeds do not max out Sata 2 or Sata 3, due to the "mechanical" part. The only storage drives that will depend on those connections would be a solid state drive (SSD)

Also, I do not think the OEM installed windows will work, but as someone said earlier, I *think* you can call microsoft and transfer the license ( I am not positive on that)

The hard drive will work fine, as any mechanical hard drive speeds do not max out Sata 2 or Sata 3, due to the "mechanical" part. The only storage drives that will depend on those connections would be a solid state drive (SSD)

Also, I do not think the OEM installed windows will work, but as someone said earlier, I *think* you can call microsoft and transfer the license ( I am not positive on that)

You can alway just torrent the install CD (which isn't stealing). And then you can get your license key from a free key finder to activate the install. Remember using a generated license code is stealing, but downloading the CD just for the CD and not the code is ok. :biggrin: