I'm back and need a new system

Queenz

Haven't been on here in the longest. I'm wanting to build a new system but unsure on where to start. I'm not too updated on all the new things that are out or whats coming out. Whatever I'm getting it's going to be next month.

Things I have already:

24" LCD HDTV monitor

Silverstone Raven Case

Some raptor and SSD drives

What I need ($1,100 budget):

Motherboard

CPU

PSU

RAM

and whatever else

Cooling I don't need since I'm doing one of my custom watercooling setups like what I did on my last build. Thinking of going with the new octa core AMD cpu's but not sure. Thanks for any tips and advice

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is happening in regards to graphics do you need a GPU? Will you crossfire your old, leave as is or fully replace?

I'm wanting to start off completely brand new with no regards to my previous system. Only thing I'm reusing is the case and monitor

I'm wanting to start off completely brand new with no regards to my previous system. Only thing I'm reusing is the case and monitor

Mobo - MSI Z68-GD55 178 inc shipping

CPU - i5 2500k in store 179

RAM - Corsair Vengance 8gb 47 free shipping

PSU - TT Black Widow 850watt 106 after rebate shipping inc

Please try and reuse any HDDs you have because buying one now is not worth it

Sub total - $510 leaving 600 for graphics

Are you able to reuse the Silverstone PSU? and do you mind at all for crossfire or sli?

I would still say pick up two of these sapphire flex for 510 after rebate with free shipping and you will come to just over a 1000, with the crossfire 6950 2gb I would go the 850watt over the silverstone even though the 750 would handle it just.

So at a thousand you could bump the 2500k up to a 2600k better performance than octa core especially in gaming only in very high threaded operations will you see any benefit for the 8-core fx CPUs.

You say custom cooling does that include waterblocks for GPU if so my rec would naturally change.

I don't agree with stoner. I tested one out based on his recommendation, and it was a bit too loud in my experience. I would spend the extra 50 bucks and go with a corsair PSU as I ended up doing. I do like his recommendation for a mobo though. Corsair is also great for stoner's ram recommendation :thumbsup: . But stick with the 2500K and save the money for ivy bridge since the MSI board supports it natively (supposedly better than a bios flashing for a regular 1155 board). Also, get a cheap card. Don't buy something that expensive when in a couple of months nvidia will be releasing the 600 series. Just get something cheap to rely on and then buy your video card when the new stuff comes out.

Don't forget an SSD and a storage drive. Personally, I would get a 120 gb solid state and see how long you could hold out with that much storage alone until HDD prices drop. Stoner is right, now is not the time to buy a HDD unless you want to support WD in a massive way.

Speaking of which, I donated to the Red cross for the Thai land flood, and I would like to encourage every one else to donate as well. They have supported the computer community for eons with all the hard drive manufacturing and its time we help them out by giving back to the victims of a terrible disaster. If any one is interested, they can go to the WD web page and follow the link to donate to the red cross. Thank you to any one who will show support to that part of the world.

Back onto topic, I think that if you can wait a little bit and hold off on the big purchases, you could then afford to spend the money on getting the good stuff on a latter date.

I don't agree with stoner. I tested one out based on his recommendation, and it was a bit too loud in my experience. It was really loud and hot.

Never had issues with Termaltake before but if quality control is lacking I am not happy and well spending a bit more jump into another silverstone strider provided the power requirement of new card/s exceeds the 750 depending on whether it will be reused or not.

Was your PSU getting hot enough to kick fan to 100% tj? If so shame on tt, I am interested only because the black widow always looked to be a great offer at $104, reputable brand, 80+ bronze with single 12v rail design. Have used tt before as a replacement for a fried oem and its going good still but this not good.

Although i know for a fact for the time being I am not going past silverstone for my PSU needs. Silent always even after folding all day it never has had to ramp up it's fan to provide extra cooling. Just been gaming for the last few hours and temps measured out the back of the strider 3C above ambient win imo.

Hello Queenzy,

I think between Stonerboy and Angel you couldnt go wrong. I like the Mobo in my sig as well... there a alot of good Z68 offerings ini that price range. You might, should, look for some Z68 mobo shoot outs .....OCC here has some comprehensive reviews and I think Tom's hardware does a 5 board shoot out too. All in that price range.

Corsair makes good PSUs too haha.

Or you could just wait for the new Z70 series to come out. I believe the socket is going to be 2011. Of course this news is from the grapevine so something to look into.

Socket 2011 will be running on the X79 chipset.

Keep your 1156 setup. You will be wasting so much money if you go Sandybridge now as you will see almost 0% in performance gains. Your i7 860 performs as well or even better than an i7 920 which performs basically as good as an i7 2600K. (of course the 2600K pulls ahead when it is completely OC'ed, but not by very much).

Just get new graphic cards, maybe 1 or 2 bigger SSDs, and be happy.