Hello i'm new to OCC and i need help TY.

zed026

Hi all i am new to OCC i need some advice on overclocking my graphics card. I have a Gigabyte GTX 570 OC running at 780 Mhz stock, but i see people going beyond 850 Mhz. So i thought you people could help me overclock mine too. I am totally new to this and any help would be appreciated. Thanx once again.

Hey Zed, welcome to OCC.

First you'll need to pick a gpu overclocking tool. There are a few options out there now for software based overclocking on nVidia GPUs and some of them are really good. A far cry from the early days when you had to create and flash a custom BIOS or rely on the old but trusty RivaTuner.

Gigabyte has their own utility called "Easy Boost"

MSI Afterburner seems to work with just about every card out there regardless of manufacturer

NvidiaInspector

nVidia System Tools

Riva Tuner

eVGA Precision (haven't confirmed that it works with non-eVGA cards)

Sapphire Trixx (haven't confirmed that it works with non-Sapphire cards)

For simplicity sake I'd say start with GB's Easy Boost or MSI's Afterburner. Both are fairly straight forward with an easy to use and understand GUI. Plus I'm sure that both of those will work with your particular card. Be advised (based on my experience) that 780Mhz is almost the max stable frequency at stock voltage of .950v - accordingly - to get much beyond that with complete stability you'll need to consider bumping up your gpu voltage to 1.0v or maybe even 1.025v

As with any type of overclocking, proceed in small increments. Don't assume that because you've seen a bunch of other people hitting 850Mhz that you can do the same. Leave the memory speed at stock frequency and slowly begin increasing the gpu frequency in 10Mhz increments until you get a lock up, blue screen or artifacts. At that point you must decide whether you want to juice it some more and see if it will go higher or not. Whatever you do I don't recommend exceeding 1.050v if you plan on keeping the card for a while. Also, keep an eye on temperatures! You may have to create a custom fan profile in order to keep the temps in check.

Once you've found the max GPU frequency, I recommend reducing by 10Mhz for 24/7 operation. Then repeat the same methodology for memory overclocking. A little at a time until you start to see artificating on the screen. Reduce frequency by 10Mhz and lock it down.

Go game for a while and see what she does. KEEP AN EYE ON TEMPERATURES! Repeated from above.

The link I'm providing below takes you directly to nVidia's forums in a thread titled Overclocking & Benchmarking. In it you'll find many useful links to gpu benchmarking and stress testing applications (look further down the list - everything in the first half is for motherboards).

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=175542

Thanx everyone.

@wevsspot: would you happen to know how to create a custon fan profile. I am totally new. thnx

You need to pick a gpu overclocking tool first although something like msi afterburner is incredibly easy to use and has easily set up fan profiles.

You need to pick a gpu overclocking tool first although something like msi afterburner is incredibly easy to use and has easily set up fan profiles.

+1 Echo

Zed - once you've told us which one you want to use we can help you set up a custom fan profile - no problem.

Wev