Low profile CPU cooler for friend

Alright, my friend has finally started to actually care about his computer and looked at the temps and is looking at about 45C on the stock cooler. (Phenom I; not sure which model but it's not a BE or anything special). So anyway, he is looking for an aftermarket cooler with a low profile since his case isn't exactly roomy. He isn't looking to OC anytime soon so all he really needs is something to bring down stock temps for gaming and such. So does anyone have any suggestions? I know this isn't very informative so I'll try to get more info tomorrow if it is required.

Thanks

Before buying another cooler you might want to try reapplying the TIM. Especially if it was just the stock stuff on the stock cooler. The stock cooler is more then adequate if he's not going to OC. But replacing the crud they put on it helps.

I vote hyper CM 212+

Low profile? At 160mm I wouldn't say it is.

Op can you get exact dimensions and those scythe coolers will work best if there is a vent in the side of the case.

For real low profile I would go scythe shuriken at just over 60mm high

Before buying another cooler you might want to try reapplying the TIM. Especially if it was just the stock stuff on the stock cooler. The stock cooler is more then adequate if he's not going to OC. But replacing the crud they put on it helps.

+1

and much better to get an aftermarket TIM either, my temps gone better as compared with the TIM that comes with my V8.

Tuniq TX-3 makes a lot of difference then V8 OEM TIM

+1 with the previous posters about the TIM. Other things to consider are the case dimensions, airflow within the case, and cost/performance ratio. Also, as others have said, you need to consider the need for an aftermarket cooling solution. If the temps are running 45C (on idle I presume), what are the temps looking like when he's gaming? Research the temperature range for the CPU he's using and see if it is within the recommended range. If you've considered all the above, check out this site. It has helped me find a pretty decent, low profile, aftermarket cooler.

Edited by jack_of_java

I'll reapply the TIM for him next time I am home from college. This is also his case: http://www.apevia.com/ProductsInfo.asp?KEY=X-Cruiser2-BK

It's pretty cramped inside the case, as the PSU he has is not modular and all the cables are just kinda in the way of things.

with that given width size; i'll go for the scythe with no worries.

good thing that chassis has 120mm side panel fan built in. as what stonerboy recommends that will suit best for the scythe.