Sandy Bridge worth it?

So I don't keep up on the latest and greatest hardware much anymore, since I have been working more towards being a network engineer... So I don't know always what hardware is the best and what not, and this piece vs another piece...

So I am looking at CPUs, I want to get an i7 but I am confused about this whole sandy bridge vs the other i7 processors. Besides the obvious socket difference what is really different with sandy bridge?

Is it worth it? Or should I just get a i7-960? The price seems similar...

Edited by greengiant912

I decided to go with the sandy bridge, after reading many reviews saying that the performance is pretty good... Plus you can easily get up to 4ghz with little effort on the 2600k :)

Edited by greengiant912

I decided to go with the sandy bridge, after reading many reviews saying that the performance is pretty good... Plus you can easily get up to 4ghz with little effort on the 2600k :)

You made a good choice. Sandy Bridge runs much cooler and at much higher clock speeds than the previous generation i7. And apparently they are easier to overclock!

If you're doing encoding then it'll be worth worth it. Now the major vendors just need to add native support for Intel QuickSync (Adobe, Sony, and etc).

I just need a faster upload speed now.

Edited by Krazyxazn

See My Rig Sig. I am adsolutely 100% statisfied. I like my new Hardware and I like my new Win7. Its da schizle. You should hold on just maybe two more weeks and get the price drop on everything.