My Asus ROG Rig

Hey Guys I need some help.

i'm not satisfied at all with the temps of my RIG. I have what I think an excellent custom cooling setup only for my CPU and I still get about 40 celsius on idle on stock I7 930. something is off.

I need some suggestions.

My RIG:

Here my specs:

[legend=]CPU: Intel Core i7 930

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme

Graphics Cards:Zotac GeForce GTX 560 x2 1GB GDDR5 SLI Config

Memory: G.SKILL F3-12800CL6T-6GBPI Pi Series 6GB 3X2GB DDR3-1600 CL6-8-6-20

Power Supply: Kingwin 850W ATX12V / EPS12V LZ-850, Active PFC, 80 Plus Bronze, w/ 140mm

Hard Drives: OCZ SSD Sata3 Agility 60 GB x2 Raid 1

Case:Corsair Obsidian Series 800D

Mouse, keyboard:Cm storm sentinel, Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800.

MousePad: Razer Vespula

Custom build Liquid Cooling:

• 2 Pumps Swiftech MCP655.
  • Swiftech Triple 120MM Radiator
  • Koolance CPU-360 Waterblock, Rev1.1
  • X 3 TFC - Triebwerk - Performance Radiator Fan 55mm Low noise
  • Primochill Primoflex Pro LRT Clear 1/2IN ID 3/4IN OD Tubing
  • Feser One Fluid UV CLEAR/RED, NON-CONDUCTIVE
  • Koolance RP-452X2 Rev 1.1 Dual 5.25" Reservoir

3D:

kit Nvidia + 2 eyeglasses

LG BH12LS35 Blu-ray™ Disc Rewriter Internal SATA 12x Super Multi Blue LightScribeTM with 3D Play back

BenQ XL2410T 23.6IN Widescreen 120HZ LCD Monitor LED 1920X1080 2MS DVI HDMI[/legend]

Screenshot:

Previous layout:

http://i55.tinypic.com/15oi8g0.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/eas175.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/ei4foy.jpg

CURRENT SYSTEM:

di-7YVX.jpg

di-RCOX.jpg

di-JZRK.jpg

3d MarkVantage

di-KTSV.jpg

3dMark11 Xtreme Test

di-SL18.jpg

Next Upgrade:

.Chipset waterblock

Edited by TheTweaker

Dual pumps with that setup is pretty overkill (especially with that waterblock) and contributing to your heat dump. You might actually see some lower temps with them turned down from the max speed setting (try 3 on both for starters, if not lower).

Next, I'd replace those fans. They are overpriced and overhyped. Their static pressure is pretty lackluster even compared to inexpensive "good" fans. For $5 a pop you can't beat Yate Loon low or medium speed fans running in push/pull. Every single review I've seen that compares them to anything has usually shown them doing okay against regular 25mm fans and losing to any 25 mm or 38 mm fans with spacers.

Losing the colored coolant and moving to distilled + a silver coil would net you a bit more as well.

Also make sure you have the flow direction correct through your waterblock. IIRC it should flow in through the center fitting and out the side.

I wouldn't even bother with a chipset block - they're essentially useless unless you just like the look of them. Especially with 1/2" tubing you're not going to want to screw with it. :lol:

Anywho - that's my input. :cheers:

EDIT: Also, since your rad is at the top of your case, make sure you run the system with the reservoir as the highest point for a while. That reservoir is also extremely hard to bleed (I have one too) so you may still have air in the loop.

EDIT2: I notice you've run it at 4 GHz for benching - what idle/load temps do you get when at that speed?

Edited by Waco

Dual pumps with that setup is pretty overkill (especially with that waterblock) and contributing to your heat dump. You might actually see some lower temps with them turned down from the max speed setting (try 3 on both for starters, if not lower).

Next, I'd replace those fans. They are overpriced and overhyped. Their static pressure is pretty lackluster even compared to inexpensive "good" fans. For $5 a pop you can't beat Yate Loon low or medium speed fans running in push/pull. Every single review I've seen that compares them to anything has usually shown them doing okay against regular 25mm fans and losing to any 25 mm or 38 mm fans with spacers.

Losing the colored coolant and moving to distilled + a silver coil would net you a bit more as well.

Also make sure you have the flow direction correct through your waterblock. IIRC it should flow in through the center fitting and out the side.

I wouldn't even bother with a chipset block - they're essentially useless unless you just like the look of them. Especially with 1/2" tubing you're not going to want to screw with it. :lol:

Anywho - that's my input. :cheers:

EDIT: Also, since your rad is at the top of your case, make sure you run the system with the reservoir as the highest point for a while. That reservoir is also extremely hard to bleed (I have one too) so you may still have air in the loop.

EDIT2: I notice you've run it at 4 GHz for benching - what idle/load temps do you get when at that speed?

Waco, the second pump dumps 1 degree or 2. no biggie.

Hey guys thx a lot for all the suggestions. i appreciate it as I learned my way through WC just by reading and trials.

I'm not sure if you guys noticed my previous setup but it was performing better.

@Waco

I thought double pump would only benefit your loop. The original idea was too hook the Chipset koolance full block so I thought I needed extra push for that.

I bought those fans for $21 each as they were on sale, and I'm extremely happy for the fact that you can barely hear my PC. for the air that they move, well I agree they suck compared to my previous noctua fans.

The coolant was chosen because of its easy usage. I mean I don't really want to bother doing a lot of maintenance on my loop. I can keep that coolant for a year and there wouldn't even be a shade of algae in my loop lol

The flowing is correct. For the reservoir. so true I still have no idea How I managed to bleed it . what would be the best way? should I turn my PC upside down?

The funny thing is that when I ran the benchmark at 4ghz my temps were not high. it was slightly after 55 Celsius if i recall correctly.

If I move my RAD to the bottom would that make a concrete difference? I mean is it worth the hassle of moving my loop all over?

My Ambient temp? I have the AC on on my apartment but just to a minimum setting. so i guess maybe around 25 celsius?

My Ambient temp? I have the AC on on my apartment but just to a minimum setting. so i guess maybe around 25 celsius?

A 40 C idle temp isn't horrible if your ambient is that high - what load temps are you getting? I tend to ignore idle temps as long as my load temps are okay.

Edited by Waco

There is nothing wrong with the idle being 40c. Especially if overclocked. I would look at your temperatures after an hour of prime95 or occt ovrclocking tool.

You don't have to do this BUT you can save your settings, input the factory defaults and then run a stability test. Report your highest and lowest temps. Then put your overclock back on and do the same thing.

Report back the temps. I'm guessing load with at stock will be 45 to 60c and overclocked will be 60-75c.

Let us know.