Is this a decent AMD build?

DnaAngel

I am looking into building an AMD Rig and was wondering what you thought?

CASE: Cooler Master HAF 912 (60$)

Motherboard: Asus m4a89td Pro (170$)

CPU: AMd Phenom 1090T or 1100T.. Haven't Decided (180$)

RAM: Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz 6Gb (50$)

PSU: 750 Watt Corsair 80+ Cert

GPU: HIS Radeon HD 6850 (160$)

HDD: WD Caviar Black WD7501AALS 3Gb/Sec 750GB 7200RPM Dual Processor (70$)

Under 800$

Well what do you think. I would like to set OC to 4Ghz 24/7 Stable and be under 50 Degrees at 100% at any given time

Where can i improve and not adjust too much on price per component?

Whats a Good AM cooler thats hasslefree to install and wont break the bank?

If i were you i would wait till Bulldozer comes out. The price of everything else will probably drop, so you can get it cheaper or even run Bulldozer if it doesn't cost a lot. Other than that, the build looks very solid.

6 gig RAM kit is triple channel and AMD is dual, get either a 4 gig or 8 gig kit.

For the cooler I would look at the H60 based on the criteria you mentioned.

Edited by ComputerEd

I do not wish to use liquid cooling, with a little know how and ingenuity you can get great numbers with amazing air flow and a decent AM cooler. just like i did with my current build in siggy and thats at a 24/7 OC

Thank you for the Triple Channel heads up. im pretty new to AMD and completely forgot about that.

Edited by DnaAngel

Im anxious to see the benchmark numbers of the Bulldozers be nice to see if it can hang with a I7-2600, my 2600k w/OC gets a passmark cpu score of 10,892... A stock Phenom 2 1100T gets a 6300 and ive seen Passmark cpu scores for a Intel i7 980x OC well over 12,000

Edited by DnaAngel

The PSU is way overkill, my system (see my signature) runs fantastic on a 560 watt PSU-- much more efficient. In fact, I have a kill-a-watt hooked up to the wall socket right now and I am currently drawing only 275 watts of power (and my Logitech Z-5500 speakers, 2 25" monitors, cable modem, router, and cell phone charger are also hooked up so it's actually using less than that). Ideally, you want your idle PSU usage to be about 50% of the PSUs max for the best efficiency, altho any good power supply will have a fairly wide range where it runs efficiently--it's still a good rule of thumb I think.

Also, I am not at all crazy about your HDD choice. If at ALL possible, drop an SSD on it--I know they are expensive, but the HDD is BY FAR the largest bottle neck in your system. My system (which uses the same vid card and processor) has a decent SSD from which to boot, but Windows Experience or whatever still shows my lowest score to be from the drive--a 6.9 if I recall correctly. Everything else is 7.6 - 7.8. Not that I'm advocating putting much faith in Windows Experience Index as a reliable and accurate benchmark, but it's still good for rough comparisons such as these I think.

To shave some cash off the price, you might consider a different motherboard, altho I don't really have one to suggest off the top of my head, I may pop over to new egg and see what I can find, but unless you need a feature laden motherboard, there are decent offerings that are reliable and that overclock which are cheaper (probably). Also, scaling back on the unnecessary wattage from the PSU might save you a few dollars. You can get by with 1333 RAM since the 1090T is multiplier unlocked just fine, but I agree with the post above, get 4 or 8gb, not six.

Can't offer much guidance on the cooler, I built my box mostly for silence and am running it at stock speeds for the moment, however--I had it at 3.9 stable and with some tweaking I'm positive it'd hit 4. There is a great thread on overclocking the 1090T around here somewhere. . . .

Here: http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=183403

And also here is a link to some pics of my setup since our builds are similar

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=180802

Hope this helps!

Bruce

The PSU is way overkill, my system (see my signature) runs fantastic on a 560 watt PSU-- much more efficient. In fact, I have a kill-a-watt hooked up to the wall socket right now and I am currently drawing only 275 watts of power (and my Logitech Z-5500 speakers, 2 25" monitors, cable modem, router, and cell phone charger are also hooked up so it's actually using less than that). Ideally, you want your idle PSU usage to be about 50% of the PSUs max for the best efficiency, altho any good power supply will have a fairly wide range where it runs efficiently--it's still a good rule of thumb I think.

Also, I am not at all crazy about your HDD choice. If at ALL possible, drop an SSD on it--I know they are expensive, but the HDD is BY FAR the largest bottle neck in your system. My system (which uses the same vid card and processor) has a decent SSD from which to boot, but Windows Experience or whatever still shows my lowest score to be from the drive--a 6.9 if I recall correctly. Everything else is 7.6 - 7.8. Not that I'm advocating putting much faith in Windows Experience Index as a reliable and accurate benchmark, but it's still good for rough comparisons such as these I think.

To shave some cash off the price, you might consider a different motherboard, altho I don't really have one to suggest off the top of my head, I may pop over to new egg and see what I can find, but unless you need a feature laden motherboard, there are decent offerings that are reliable and that overclock which are cheaper (probably). Also, scaling back on the unnecessary wattage from the PSU might save you a few dollars. You can get by with 1333 RAM since the 1090T is multiplier unlocked just fine, but I agree with the post above, get 4 or 8gb, not six.

Can't offer much guidance on the cooler, I built my box mostly for silence and am running it at stock speeds for the moment, however--I had it at 3.9 stable and with some tweaking I'm positive it'd hit 4. There is a great thread on overclocking the 1090T around here somewhere. . . .

Here: http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=183403

And also here is a link to some pics of my setup since our builds are similar

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=180802

Hope this helps!

Bruce

How much was the psu you have?

How much was the psu you have?

It was pretty expensive, Seasonic is very proud of their PSUs, but I needed something extremely quiet. There are comparable PSUs which cost less I'm sure (although they may not be as consistent in quality, still good though)

Here is the first thing I found on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

It's butt ugly, but it's got 440 reviews, the vast majority of which are 5 stars and it's only 64 bucks--even better, it's an Antec, which is at least a name-brand unit and 80+ certified.

My Seasonic 560 is 126.99, and if money isn't a problem I can't recommend it strongly enough. I don't think I've ever heard it running. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151098&Tpk=seasonic%20560

edit: as for a robust bios, shouldn't be a problem finding that on a more economical board

Bruce

The reaffirm the previously stated - the 750w Corsair is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much. On that build you could work on an 80+ 450-500w. I'd learn towards 500 for future upgrades. Generally, if you're not going for a dual GPU setup stay clear of the heavy duty PSUs :)

The Antec you were linked to is good - it has more than enough power for your build.

6GB... is that not a tri channel ram for LGA 1366 based processors? You want to go for dual channel on a Phenom.

As for the motherboard, you should go for an AM3+ model. If you have ANY intentions of upgrading in the future you shouldn't be looking at anything other than the 9xx series chipsets. I'd go for:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157266 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128510

The problem with coolers is that a majority of the effective ones are HUGE - making the process straightforward but cumbersome. I'd recommend a Corsair H50 or H60 - should be very easy to install while still providing great cooling performance.

Edited by nikola19283