Overheated 6870?

SkytTe

I have ran BC2 with both trixx and afterburner running in the background with no issues. Are your drivers up to date? First thing I would have tried is a fresh install of the drivers.

I can do it with a single card no problems, it's just my crossfire that BC2 doesn't like.

your right i had the same prob with my 6870 but what fixed it was renaming a msi afterburner file i forgot exactly wich one but it is a problem with overclocking software.

You have to do this if im right what you ment.

MSIAfterburner.cfg

UnofficialOverclockingEULA = I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it

UnofficialOverclockingMode = 1

What kinda idle temps do you guys with 6870s get? I got this MSI TwinFrozr 6870 and it idles in the 55-61*C range. They advertised it as being sooo much cooler, but it's not at all. It was going up to absurdly high temps before I redid the fan speed vs temp thing in afterburner.

What kinda idle temps do you guys with 6870s get? I got this MSI TwinFrozr 6870 and it idles in the 55-61*C range. They advertised it as being sooo much cooler, but it's not at all. It was going up to absurdly high temps before I redid the fan speed vs temp thing in afterburner.

Yea, I'm running 6950s in crossfire and they get to about 68 on 100% load, idle in the mid 30's. Something is most likely wrong with your cooler unless your computer is in a very hot part of your home.

unless you are having problems with other games as well, you best visit the BF2 forums

it does sound like a problem on their end if your cpu and memory are running at stock timings

I know from experience that apps like punkbuster can conflict with antivirus programs, but if your whole computer is freezing, it could be another issue

Yea, I'm running 6950s in crossfire and they get to about 68 on 100% load, idle in the mid 30's. Something is most likely wrong with your cooler unless your computer is in a very hot part of your home.

No, seems to work just fine, both fans turn and vary their speed and I reseated the heatsink twice and even polished up the originally rough surface they left. I read elsewhere of people with my same problem, I think it was just a substandard batch that got out. I would have RMA'd it but I'm missing the stupid sticker that they would want and it's worked for this long--but it definitely put me off MSI.

Bruce

I don't think my temps are the problem.. I idle at 30 and load at 70 - seems fine. I have nothing overclocked, so the issue where Punktbuster doesn't like OC hw is not an option i guess.

It's very strange. I do think that BC2 is the problem since i run just fine at "Medium" settings. Once i go "High" it lags when I join games and sometimes freezes the system.

Strange .. Any solutions?

I get lag spikes from my GPU temps. I peak at 90+ and have to turn the fan speed to 70% or higher on my 5870. It's gotten so bad that I ordered an aftermarket cooler for my card.

BFBC2 is CPU intensive so perhaps it's your GPU dumping heat into your system and causing CPU/system temps to increase. Try taking the side panel of your case off and try turning your GPU fan speed up to 70% or higher.

You're not the only one with this problem from this game. I hope you get it figured out it really is a great game. It's annoyed me to the point that I plan to upgrade my card and go nVidia this time around for BF3.