Need help overclocking i7 950 to 4.2ghz

Hey guys I just got a corsair water cooler, and I've been having trouble getting the right settings to push my i7 950 to 4.2ghz. I've either gotten blue screens, or the temperatures would be too high. I'm sure I'm not imputing the right settings in my motherboard. Please help.

Current setup is this.

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz

ASUS Rampage III Formula LGA

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

CORSAIR CWCH50-1 water cooler for CPU (38*C stock temp) idle

CORSAIR 750W power supply

ok i almost have the same setup as you, so these are my settings running at 4.26

cpu ratio 23

block 185

i have my ram set at 1854mhz, at the 23x 185 you can set them back to 1400' s (forget the exact mhz)

cpu volts 1.33

cpu pll 1.89

qpi 1.36

dram 1.66 I have 12gb of ram using 6 sticks

these are my everyday overclock and are rock stable

Ok guys with these current settings, I was able to run prime95 for about 45mins without any of the tests failing, but I stopped it because under the heavy load temps were in the 90s and the highest reaching 97*C. With the system being idle its 48*C. Also I forgot to mention, I have a total of 24gbs of ram.

IMAG0084.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0086.jpg

IMAG0087.jpg

Edited by droidclock

Ok so with stock settings, Prime95 for an hour = 68*C high and its 40*C low.

Is this normal for the h50? Maybe the thermal paste got messed up?

If nothing else id reseat the h50, maybe scrap/clean old paste, reapply with some new and good paste(dont use AS5, it was good 5 years ago, there are a hundred other pastes that much better now)... Something isnt right, those temps seem way high for an H50, i know my megahalems is much better than an H50, but i get like 50c at stock on my i7-930, and at 4.0Ghz i only get like 68c on the hottest core! I would think that with an H50 you'd be in the area of 80c at a 4.0Ghz OC.

i saw that your cpu volts were at 1.4v with a 23x180 giving you 4.14mhz you should be down in the 1.35v range +\- .2 volts try lowing you cpu voltage testing in between till you get a bluescreen then bump it back up a few and you should be good to go. my i7 950 doesnt hit 1.4v till i get up in the 4.4 - 4.5 range. give that a try and you should see some lower temps.

The H50 will not hold him back Boinker.

Depends on how much current(voltage) his CPU will need to run the number!

i saw that your cpu volts were at 1.4v with a 23x180 giving you 4.14mhz you should be down in the 1.35v range +\- .2 volts try lowing you cpu voltage testing in between till you get a bluescreen then bump it back up a few and you should be good to go. my i7 950 doesnt hit 1.4v till i get up in the 4.4 - 4.5 range. give that a try and you should see some lower temps.

Not all chips are the same! I have them that take anywhere from 1.325 to 1.55 to get to 4.2. I have one that will not go over 4.0 regardless of the amount of juice it gets.

i know not all chips are the same and i should have worded it diferently, but i was at work skimmed through the posts and typing out a reply fast. i guess i should of asked if he just started at 1.4 and was happy to pass or worked his way to it till that was the first voltage that passed on prime. i pulled out my jump to conclusion mat and figured he just started there.

The best method is to start low and work your way up through trial and error. The other option is start high and then tweak down to what it takes to run the number. To the OP it takes time to find out what your combination of parts will do!

I will try to work it up by trial and error. I may re-seal the H50. What's the best thermal paste out there?

Whoever said not to use AS5 is full of crap. AS5 is fine. The differences between AS5 and the best tim is 2 to 4 degrees..... Your good to go with it. granted there is better. I use IC Diamond....

Depends on how much current(voltage) his CPU will need to run the number!

Not all chips are the same! I have them that take anywhere from 1.325 to 1.55 to get to 4.2. I have one that will not go over 4.0 regardless of the amount of juice it gets.

950's DO NOT NEED 1.55 volts at 4.2Ghz. I have no idea what you guys are smoking in this thread... 950's will need in the area of 1.35V. +/- .25V.

Edited by Drdeath

950's DO NOT NEED 1.55 volts at 4.2Ghz. I have no idea what you guys are smoking in this thread... 950's will need in the area of 1.35V. +/- .25V.

:pfp:

2 things Dr death.

1: As ccokeman clearly stated your mileage may vary as every chip is different.

2: It also has been noted in other forums and overclocking guides for the 1336 socket I7 are requiring more voltage depending on when it was manufactured. Especially the 950

Information link. start at the top. Guide