Need a second opinion on my Overclock Please

I'm definitely gonna give that heatsink a shot, and the case i have allows me to do it without removing the mobo, so that's a big plus..I'm actually looking forward to it....

I changed the voltage to 1.85, i think i'm gonna give up on trying to get this crazy ram to run at 1066, so i'm back at 800 now..But it's not a big deal, I was enjoying learning how all this stuff works..

It could be your motherboard holding you back on the memory, that's a fairly old platform. :mellow:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I got my new cooler from UPS today..Now I really need someone with more experience than me to give a honest opinion..here's the deal, I currently have the X2 7850 BE oc'd to 3.0ghz, but I also have a spare Phenom II X4 925 that i'm not using and I was wondering which cpu would give me the best performance. I am really into video games such as Splinter cell conviction, dragon age, mass effect, etc...Any advice is greatly appreciated...

AMD Athlon X2 7850 BE oc 3.0ghz

ASRock K10N78D

4GB DDR2 OCZ XTC Platinum

XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770

2x HITACHI Deskstar 1TB Sata

NZXT M59 Black Steel ATX

APEVIA ATX-AQ 700W

Windows 7 64bit

Edited by Guitargirl

Ok cool, looks like I will put the quad in, I just needed a second opinion about it, coz I know bigger isn't always better...thanks everyone..

In this case it is in every way: Core Count, New Architecture, More Efficient, Overclocks better!

And actually the chip is smaller ;)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Well what sux is that I bought a brand new mobo for that quad and now i'm too scared to use it because it defaults ram to 1.65 volts and my new DDR3 ram is 1.5v, and the bios only goes up in volts not down..how screwed up is that..Now I could use the fox one software that came with the mobo to decrease the volts but I don't trust it ,because when I checked the volts there it said 1.8..and it doesn't look like foxconn is gonna fix it because they haven't even put a bios update out since 2010..So basically that's why I wanted to see about just sticking that quad in my current rig..If yall know any good AMD am3 motherboards that would be good for gaming and overclocking then let me know because I will definitely be getting another one soon..

I overclocked my my ddr3 from 1333 to 1750mhz on my i7 platform and all it needed was 1.64v. I wouldn't worry about it. If it has a heat spreader and runs with 1.65v I'd go with it. Maybe you can lower it in the BIOS??? Put the ddr3 am3 system together. Its going to outperform the ddr2 setup by a long margin. Then go overclocking.

Have fun. Boinker.

BTW: what ram, board and processor???

Is this the same board you were running the ddr2 in??? If so they are likely not comparable...