Cooling Solution

I am building a new rig and I need some advise. I really have my heart set on the Corsair 650D case due to it's cable management and size. However, I have heard that it doesn't have the greatest airflow. I really wanted to try out the Noctua D-14 but now that I know about this case's airflow I'm thinking of going to a self contained liquid solution. Possibly the H70. I am not 100% sold on anything, so changing the case isn't a deal breaker. I just really want the best airflow and features I can get. My cooling right now in my Apevia X-Plorer is terrible, with the CPU usually in the low 60's after light use. I really need to stick with a mid tower seeing as I go to school and will be lugging it around a few times a year. I was going to purchase the LanBoy Air last night, but I saw it in person the first time and laughed at how cheaply the sides were made.

My questions to you:

How is the 650D Airflow?

What should my CPU Cooling solution be?

Any other case or cooling solutions?

Thanks a ton in advance, I really can't make up my mind.

I think you must decide if you want closed loop water cooling or good air cooling.The CM HAF series is a good airflow choice.the Noctua D-14 is a beast of a cooler and is currently the best airflow solution available.what is the rest of the specs of your PC?

I think you must decide if you want closed loop water cooling or good air cooling.The CM HAF series is a good airflow choice.the Noctua D-14 is a beast of a cooler and is currently the best airflow solution available.what is the rest of the specs of your PC?

I would really rather the D-14, but I also want it to be viable to put in this case, and I'm really unsure of the airflow in the 650D.

GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3

i7 2600K Might do slight overclocking (Never attempted it before)

RAM depends on if I get the noctua or not.

Not sold on anything else.

The D-14 would be best if you plan to OC a bit. I am not sure that the 650D is a good air flow case. i think it would be a better water cooling case.here is a review you can check out how it compares to a HAF and some other cases to help you. not sure if the D-14 il fit in the 650D but i think it will.

http://www.techspot.com/review/414-corsair-obsidian-650d/page5.html

Hey Idrownfish.

We at OCC actually did a review on that case and the case has some promise to it. we stacked it up against a couple of the best cases on the market including that HAF 932 and beleive me it held its own. Here is the review link Corsair obsidian 650D.

in all honestly im sure that it would do well with the D-14, self contained water cooling or you could outfit a custom watercooling loop in the top portion of the case as we said you can mount a 120-2 or a 140-2 radiator in the top portion of the case. Read the review and see what you thing. from reading it myself I can safely say its a solid case that would work sell in your situation.

My 2 cents,

Boinker.

I own the D-14 and the Thermalright Silver arrow. I have also pushed them both for my own curiosity and for customer recommendations with high OC's and very high voltages. I found the Silver Arrow with 3 fans to be the best air cooler right now. (albeit by 1.3c)

Yes I know about Tom's review @ OC3D, and that is what I was trying to reproduce but couldn't even at higher frequency and voltage. anyway the Silver Arrow with 3 fans diffuses an incredible amount of heat as does the D-14, either is a top shelf choice. If you have clearance issues with either of those two, the Thermalright Archon is an incredible cooler only a half step behind the D-14 and the Silver Arrow.

As for airflow, I agree with the HAF series will let you fan-up to just about as much airflow as you would like. I have just over 1000 CFM running through mine at peak.

Edited by red1776