Krazyxazn's Watercooling Setup

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news. Petra's Tech Shop said they would ship me 4 new Enzotech fittings today (my choice since they didn't have anymore D-Tek in stock). The CPU mounting screws are here.

I've been trying to think of up mods to do for this build:

Side Panel Window (maybe)

Case Lighting (if I do the side panel mod)

Cut away fan grill (IDK about this one)

Terminal Block (maybe later *)

Initially I was going to do the terminal block for the radiator fans, then I remembered my fan controller still has one empty slot. So I plan on trying to connect the 3 fans with this splitter. If anyone knows a place that sells a 3-Way Splitter for cheaper than $4, let me know. I plan on getting two of them.

So maybe I'll save the terminal block for the case lighting or some other build without a fan controller. I did see this one neat mod where they wired up a fans + terminal to a 3-way switch: 7 Volts, OFF, and 12 Volts. I thought that was a pretty cool DIY mod to do, but like I said I got a fan controller :P.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Link 1 (Watercooled)

is it just me or are there not any hose clamps on any of these fittings? they don't appear to be compression fittings either. That is one brave person there to hope that none of those hoses ever pop off with nothing holding them on. SCARY!!

LOL wait I found 2 one on the hose from the bottom of the vid card and one from the out on the radiator on the back lol.

Edited by Bigfwd69

Yeah, that's is very scary. I must urge the use of clamps of nearly any kind. Just think of how much the system costs versus one of those clamps....

Yea, that was the first thing I noticed when I saw his pictures.

Here are some other builds in similar cases:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/339/img20110227160654.jpg/

http://www.overclock.net/gallery/data/500/NZXT_Beta_Evo_after_modding.png

http://haste.4saken.org/pics/i5build/m59/first_leak_test.jpg

================

I went to gather some temps on Air Cooling:

CPU - Intel C2Q Q6600 G0 Stepping (3.4 GHz @ 1.42 V)

CPU Cooler - Xigmatek HDT-S1283

GPU - EVGA GTX 480 (stock)

GPU Cooler - Stock

OCCT's Power Supply Test (max temp after 6 mins): CPU = 77 C /// GPU = 105 C

3DMark Vantage (max temp): CPU = 61 C // GPU = 72 C

Score: P15887 3DMarks (Your Score is Low Compared to Similar Systems. :yucky: )

Thermal or CPU HSF isn't right. Core 0/1 is 5 C higher than Core 2/3.

Yeah. My 480's only get that hot after a few hours under a 100mhz overclock. I want to water cool my 480's badly but I cannot YET justify 500 dollars to do it...

You do know the Apogee GTZ has a factory bow in it to fit into the depression on the Core series processors. Thats why the mounting orientation is detailed on Swiftechs site. Just wanted to give you a heads up that you may not see the benefit of your work unless you lap the CPU as well.

Just wanted to give you a heads up that you may not see the benefit of your work unless you lap the CPU as well.

That's what I plan on doing today actually. Finally got all the watercooling parts in so now I can install it too.

I finished wiring up the case. Now its time to design the loop.

I sketched these 2 designs based on Res -> Pump -> Rad -> CPU -> GPU -> Res

Design 1

Design 2

Feel free to make suggestions on Res and Pump Placements or alternate loop flow designs. This case seems pretty cramped when not using a front panel Res.

========

Tape of the Gods (3M's double sided mounting tape)

I can even shake it and it still holds together.

========

I'll reorganize the photos with Google Picasa once I finish the build. Photobucket messes up the order and there doesn't seem to be any sort function.

Edited by Krazyxazn

This shall be interesting. :ph34r:

Krazyzaxn. One thing that nearly Drove me completely away from water cooling was the inconvenience of things. Please at least include a Drain port on there somewhere so you can drain the loop to maintain it so its not such a pain in the rear to removed from the case. One thing to keep in mind would be to attempt to make it to where you can easily remove the motherboard from the system without Loosing your mind.

My thoughts. Boinker.