fan advise

here is the situation:

i have 2x double 120 radiators (GTX240's). i want to run each of them with 4 fans in push/pull, BUT - i also want the fans to be controlled by my software....which only has one 3-pin connector.

so my question is this: how do i hook up 8 fans to a single 3-pin connector? note: i already know you can't hook up more than 1-2 fans on a normal 3-pin header because its too much current - i don't know the exact specs of my particular device, but i assume the same applies

note: i currently have 6 fans connected to a single molex connector (an adaptor i bought which has 6x 3-pin inputs and a molex input) running at a constant 12v

note: the particular device i mentioned above is the MTEC controller that controls my Boreas unit and its fans (see sig). what i wish to do is mod this system with my own TEC's and watercool the hot side using the fan output from the controller module

here is the situation:

i have 2x double 120 radiators (GTX240's). i want to run each of them with 4 fans in push/pull, BUT - i also want the fans to be controlled by my software....which only has one 3-pin connector.

so my question is this: how do i hook up 8 fans to a single 3-pin connector? note: i already know you can't hook up more than 1-2 fans on a normal 3-pin header because its too much current - i don't know the exact specs of my particular device, but i assume the same applies

note: i currently have 6 fans connected to a single molex connector (an adaptor i bought which has 6x 3-pin inputs and a molex input) running at a constant 12v

note: the particular device i mentioned above is the MTEC controller that controls my Boreas unit and its fans (see sig). what i wish to do is mod this system with my own TEC's and watercool the hot side using the fan output from the controller module

Frozen CPU has 9 fans to one header cables here. depending on fan specs you would need around 30W per channel to able to drive all those fans. The Sunbeam Rheosmart 3 or 6 channel controller could do that for you.

The Sunbeam Rheosmart 3 or 6 channel controller could do that for you.

i would prefer to use my existing controller if possible - the real question is: is it possible??

Frozen CPU has 9 fans to one header cables here

that looks like exactly what i would need to combine all the cables - assuming my controller can handle the current (see below)

i found some more information on the fan controller: it is rated for 8W each x2 channels - that's .67 amps each channel. the fans i have are GT AP-15's (but i might switch to the YL 12SH's for the higher RPM).

the gentle typhoon's are rated at .083 amps nominal (.332 = 4 watts for 4 fans), but starting current is .36 amps (1.44 = 17 watts for 4 fans). does this mean the controller would be able to handle 4x per channel? or would the higher start-up current fry it? (i assume the start-up current is only a temporary spike which decreases as the blades pick up speed until they eventually settle at the .083 nominal)

Edited by bschmidt71

you could use something what mearures the voltage on your controller and copies that to another more high current output. it is definitely possible, but i don't know of such a device...

basically i just need to know if the "starting" amps will fry the controller (temporary 16w vs 8w) or not since the nominal (operational) amperage (4w) is well under the 8w controller spec. i leave the computer running 24/7, but occassionaly reboot 2-5 times a week. opinions??

Buy the Rheosmart 6 fan controller it runs 30w per channel and has 6 channels it can also run 3 pin fans in PWM mode. So you hook up the controller to a molex power cable plug the 4pin PWM wire into you Mtec board hook up all your fans to the controller and leave it on auto and your set.

So you hook up the controller to a molex power cable plug the 4pin PWM wire into you Mtec board

if i plug in the 4 pin molex the fans will run at a constant 12v - or am i missing something?

also, you say to plug the 4pin PWM wire into the mtec controller - what 4pin PWM wire are you talking about? (note: i am not familiar with the Rheosmart controller, but i will go check it out right now)

basically i just need to know if the "starting" amps will fry the controller (temporary 16w vs 8w) or not since the nominal (operational) amperage (4w) is well under the 8w controller spec. i leave the computer running 24/7, but occassionaly reboot 2-5 times a week. opinions??

At worst damage and certainly have difficulty spinning up the fans. This assuming its performing at rated specs.

Imo better to look at a better controller. I bought the rheosmart for the same reason. My sentry lx wasn't up to driving my fans.

if i plug in the 4 pin molex the fans will run at a constant 12v - or am i missing something?

also, you say to plug the 4pin PWM wire into the mtec controller - what 4pin PWM wire are you talking about? (note: i am not familiar with the Rheosmart controller, but i will go check it out right now)

You plug the controller into the PSU then you plug the 4 pin PWM wire on the controller to the CPU header either on the motherboard or on to the MTEC fan header. The power is supplied from the controller to the fans so they won't run at a constant 12v unless you set it up that way.

You plug the controller into the PSU then you plug the 4 pin PWM wire on the controller to the CPU header either on the motherboard or on to the MTEC fan header. The power is supplied from the controller to the fans so they won't run at a constant 12v unless you set it up that way.

No the power is supplied via the molex, but the speed control signal comes from the controller, an hence you can control the fanspeed with very little current through the controller. But does it really work that way?