Mobo Problems

I have a Soyo dragon KT333 lat plus with amd 1.3 cpu and win XP pro. everything thing has been ok for about a year and than the other night I increased the fsb to 200 but Win locked on me . Than it locked on me while i was in the Bios. The final messge I got was an (sum) error. After that All I would get is a repeating beep with no boot. I've tried removing the battery and grounding the post and also resetting the bios on the board with jumpers. But I still cant seem to boot. Any ideas? Thanks

RMA time...you cooked your board. The KT333CD/CE chipsets were not designed to operate at 200 FSB operation. Reason: They don't come with a 1/6 divider. 200/6 = 33.3 MHz PCI BUS. If resetting the BIOS with the jumper did not help you, you will have the RMA the board; Setting up an exchange were you pay the shipping to send the board back to Soyo and they will give you another Dragon KT333 or even a Dragon KT400.

:withstupid: Yep, and also, that 1.3 processor must be either a t-bird or a morgan core, neither of which can go much above 1.4ghz max. Let's see...1300/100=13 multi. 13 x 200 = 2600mhz...that certainly will not work. Your processor might be dead.

man a cooked mobo and a cooked cpu? crap...that really sucks. I got an old FIC Mobo that I'm gonna try using to see if the cpu is still good. Not good news for me I guess. You know I actually oc the board once before and once it became unstable I reverted back to the default setting and never had a problem since than.

ok good news my cpu is ok. I switch the soyo mobo to my old FIC MOBO and its working fine. I was told that I am able to clear the bios chip on the Soyo mobo by taking out and grounding all the pins on a flat metal surface. Is there any truth to this? Also are Bios chips mobo specifc? Thanks in advance.

The BIOS gets cleared by removing the battery on the M/B, and either changing jumpers or grounding out specific points. (I'm not familiar w/Soyo MB's).

In all cases, unplug the power supply. Remove the battery. Then either there are jumpers right next to the battery that ned to be moved (if the jumper is covering pin1&2, then it needs to be moved to 2&3. let it set for a minute, move the jumper back, replace the BIOS battery. Some cases there are 2 points near the battery that need to be shorted with a screwdriver (or something similar). It may be printed on the circuit board, where to ground. Again, not plugged in, no battery.

:withstupid: Yep, just consult your mobo's manual and perform the ritualistic CMOS clear operation. However, the board may be physically dead from the stress of going 200fsb...even kt400 had a hard time hitting 200fsb, let alone kt333.

Your board will probably be fine. I have found that mobos are harder to kill then you would think. Alot of time when they die is when physical damage occours (cracks water stuff like that) or static. Did you use the same memory in both because that beep sounded like it may have been dead memory post codes. Did you make sure to set the fsb back to stock when you set it back up. When i was using a dfi lanparty kt400a i thought i had blown my mobo sinc i had cleared the cmos and not matter what i would do it would not boot. I tried switching out everything with no luck. I ended up ordering an abit AN7. A day after i ordered it i decided to try switching my fsb down from 200 to 166 and it booted. It seemed that when i rested the cmos it put my multi back to stock 16 and it wouldn't handle the speed. Just thought i'd share that to give you some hope.