Need a new mid range video card

Hi there.. This is actually my first topic and post. I hope this is the right place to get some guidance

So, I'm getting a whole new computer, putting it together my self.

I've decided for:

Motherboard: ASUS P7P55 LX (ATX - LGA1156 Socket)

Cabinet: Antec LifeStyle Sonata III (500 W power supply)

CPU: Intel Core i3 550 (3.2 GHz)

RAM: Kingston 4GB DDR3 (1600Mhz (2x2))

Graphic card: not decided

Since I'm not an expert in this area, I'm not sure which card to choose for the money I've decided to spend on it, which is around 180$-230$.

Though I've narrowed my search down to the AMD Radeon HD 6850 and the nVidia GeForce GTX 460.

The problem is which one is the better? I'm buying it from one web shop only. (www.proshop.dk Danish web)

At the moment I'm looking at the XFX RADEON HD 6850 Black Edition(Here), which seems to be great, but noisy, and the ASUS EAH6850 DirectCU 2DIS GD5 (Here), which I don't really find anything bad about.

Both factory overclocked graphic cards. These are some options, do you have any other suggestions? I just want to get my buy all right :)

Ty - Regards..

6850 vs GTX 460 is a toss up being about equal all things considered. As for between the two cards which is better there is liekly little difference at the end of the day. Find the best price you can on a 6850 and you should eb happy with any model.

go for the asus , is cheaper , better cooling, same performance and the smart doctor

:withstupid: Ive heard too many XFX horror stories to trust them. Asus cards usually come with the factory tweaks so you know ahead of time the card can handle OC and the coolers are quality.

Is that XFX the cheapest one?? I'd get that one, the sorting tool on the site isn't working for me, what does the cheapest 460 1GB go for??

The XFX is actually 10$ cheaper, but I've read some reviews, saying it gets very noisy in max loading mode.

The 460 1 GB goes for about the same prices as the ASUS and XFX 6850, but they're all very low clock speed :O ?

You can see one of them here: ASUS GTX 460 1 GB + a EVGA one: EVGA FTX 460 1 GB

Edited by SkytTe

I had the 6850 and currently use a GTX 460. I bought the 6850 on release, but after a week of buggy drivers I sold it and bought the PNY GTX 460 in my signature (only $129.99 after rebates/discounts). There's very little difference between the 6850 and 460 today.

Currently, I'd buy which ever was cheaper.

Price and performance being equal - I think you need to compare stability and quality of driver releases. On those merits alone I would go with the GTX 460 card. Add in the fact that most of them clock like bats out of hell (800/2000) is common, I don't even think there is a competition here.

Puzzled though as to why you're going with a socket 1156 build.............................

Price and performance being equal - I think you need to compare stability and quality of driver releases. On those merits alone I would go with the GTX 460 card. Add in the fact that most of them clock like bats out of hell (800/2000) is common, I don't even think there is a competition here.

Puzzled though as to why you're going with a socket 1156 build.............................

Well, that's actually a motherboard I didn't pick myself, my dad helped me out there.

I have no idea what to look for in that area, so..

Hi SkytTe.

I'm from Denmark myself, so I'm curious why it is you only want to use proshop?

What I usually do, when I'm looking for hardware is to go to EDBPriser. It's a price comparison site. That way you'll be sure to find it cheap.

Below is 3 different cards from EDBPriser:

GTX 460

GTX 560

The last one is a little pricier, but also, in my opinion, better. It's already overclocked by quite a bit, so you don't have to mess with that unless you want too.

It's the 2nd improvement of the card I use right now, so it should perform even better than mine. Just wanted to show it to you :)