how long to run prime95? which test?

hey guys,

completely new to oc'ing or pc building in general. just wondering how long should i run prime95 to ensure my pc is stable and which test? im running a blend test right now. can i still be doing stuff on my pc while the test is running? will prime95 automatically stop the test if there is an error? or do i need to follow the log to figure out which errors there are?

I think most people will say around 12 hours, you can still do stuff but it will run slower. It will end one of the workers if there is an error so you need to keep an eye on it not a close one but just check it every so often.

weird thing.....my computer (while browsing and stuff during prime) like froze....then started moving really really really really slow....like i held alt and hit tab a few times....it would scroll through the tabs like a couple minutes between each movement....im running i5 2500k on a asus deluxe b3 motherboard.....its not the ram since ive already gone through 12 passes of memtest+ with 0 errors...this as happened before so im kinda confused :s

Prime is utilizing most of your system during a blend run, I'd recommend leaving it overnight, it will just lag up, as you've noticed. To check overall system stability run blend for 24 hours. Remember to tick round off checking in options so it picks up on errors.

If your testing an overclock test using linx or intelburntest for 20 passes standard ram setting. If your stable there and happy with the overclock you can thoroughly test the CPu by running prime small ftt's for 8 hours, and if all good blend for 24.

It's a lot of testing, especially if you get errors and need to go back to the drawing board, but definately worth it, and will ensure you have no problems down the track

Edited by hoody_s13

alright guys thanks alot....should i be concerned about the freezing? its happened when im not running prime too....i keep thinking its my ssd cause just before when it froze and i pressed hte restart button my ssd wasnt picked up and it took me straight to the bios....i then did a hard reset and it only then recognized the ssd....sound like the issue?

alright guys thanks alot....should i be concerned about the freezing? its happened when im not running prime too....i keep thinking its my ssd cause just before when it froze and i pressed hte restart button my ssd wasnt picked up and it took me straight to the bios....i then did a hard reset and it only then recognized the ssd....sound like the issue?

I don't really know how, but you really need to test that ssd.

I don't really know how, but you really need to test that ssd.

so i looked around on google....and turns out many people are having problems for ocz drives and windows 7 64 bit....especiially with the OCZ Agility 3 120 GB SSD that i have....seems to be the same issue....random freezes where the mouse is functional but software is unresponsive....looks like ill be going with the Corsair F115 afterall....the OCZ Vertex 2 is on a fatty sale right now but i just cant trust OCZ drives after this....its hella annoying to have to reinstall all my software and updates and crap...this is stupid....