Need Help - First Overclock

Hi everybody i recently bought A INTEL i3 540 i want to overclock it I am new to it please help I'm on stock cooler

If you are looking to only overclock that cpu slightly then the stock cooler will be fine. But, if you are wanting to push a cpu overclock at all then you should definitely move to an aftermarket cooler!

When it comes to overclocking, temps are prob the most important aspect. You will want to do some research and see what the max temps allowed on your Intel i3 are. I have no exp with those chips so I'm not sure. Also get a temp monitor like Real Temp to check your cpu temps when you start OCing :cheers: This is only the 1st step in OCing, maybe another OCC member here has exp with this particular chip!

You'll want to keep your tempts below or nearly below 60C. For a small over-clock on a stock cooler, you'll need the following: Temp monitor--RealTemp.

Over-clock testing software--Prime95, OCCT, and LinX. There's many variation of stress testing software, do the research on your own; however the ones I've given you are recommend and are defintely sufficient for the overclocking you'll be doing.

If you're attempting over-clocks around 3.8-4.0+ Ghz, get an aftermarket cooler. Otherwise, risk future problems. I can't explain much better than THIS article, so read up and have fun! :)

Update: If you are thinking about get an after-market cooler I can't overemphasize the awesomeness of the Cooler Master Hyper 212+. It's what I'm using and I absolutely love it! Got it on ebay for only $28 and it's got my I3-550 running at 4.5Ghz--max tempts are around 64C.

Edited by xxmastermushxx

You'll want to keep your tempts below or nearly below 60C. For a small over-clock on a stock cooler, you'll need the following: Temp monitor--RealTemp.

Over-clock testing software--Prime95, OCCT, and LinX. There's many variation of stress testing software, do the research on your own; however the ones I've given you are recommend and are defintely sufficient for the overclocking you'll be doing.

If you're attempting over-clocks around 3.8-4.0+ Ghz, get an aftermarket cooler. Otherwise, risk future problems. I can't explain much better than THIS article, so read up and have fun! :)

Update: If you are thinking about get an after-market cooler I can't overemphasize the awesomeness of the Cooler Master Hyper 212+. It's what I'm using and I absolutely love it! Got it on ebay for only $28 and it's got my I3-550 running at 4.5Ghz--max tempts are around 64C.

I was hoping you'd chime in to the help!!

Yeah OP, how high we talking?? If it's small the stock cooler should be fine

I was hoping you'd chime in to the help!!

Yeah OP, how high we talking?? If it's small the stock cooler should be fine

Heheh, yeah, most people on here are sporting i5's or i7's, not i3's. And I agree with you're question, before we know the frequency you're aiming for OP we can't be too helpful.