Successful overclock on the Phenom II X4 955?

You're being overly pessimistic! OP should go as high as he can, 955's can get just as high as other chips. (Note: After you get the Hyper!)

for benchmarks yes i oc to the limit , but for 24/7 wath is the point having the 955 at 4- 4,1 Ghz ?

for benchmarks yes i oc to the limit , but for 24/7 wath is the point having the 955 at 4- 4,1 Ghz ?

he does have a point, whats the point of a 4.1GHz CPU when your browsing the web or creating a word file. :whistling:

The 955 is one of the best overclocking chips AMD produces. I love them, they're just a lot of fun to play with. I've been through quite a few of them, but the one I have right now is sitting at 4.2GHz 24/7 stable and has never missed a beat. The biggest limiting factor on these chips is heat and heat alone. If you can keep the temps below 55C at load it should hit 4GHz on air pretty easily. Keep your RAM at 1600MHz and run the tightest timings you can, if you don't have at least 1600MHz RAM than I would recommend upgrading.

Also, don't buy a 870 or 880 board if you plan to really overclock. They mostly came with poor VRM systems which leads to dirty CPU power and hot running boards. The MSI 890FXA-GD65 is my favorite AM3 board and it features BD support. It will not limit your CPU and has the best VRM system in all of the AM3 boards I have tested or used. I think they're priced around $130 USD which makes them a steal for the features you get.

The 955 is one of the best overclocking chips AMD produces. I love them, they're just a lot of fun to play with. I've been through quite a few of them, but the one I have right now is sitting at 4.2GHz 24/7 stable and has never missed a beat. The biggest limiting factor on these chips is heat and heat alone. If you can keep the temps below 55C at load it should hit 4GHz on air pretty easily. Keep your RAM at 1600MHz and run the tightest timings you can, if you don't have at least 1600MHz RAM than I would recommend upgrading.

Also, don't buy a 870 or 880 board if you plan to really overclock. They mostly came with poor VRM systems which leads to dirty CPU power and hot running boards. The MSI 890FXA-GD65 is my favorite AM3 board and it features BD support. It will not limit your CPU and has the best VRM system in all of the AM3 boards I have tested or used. I think they're priced around $130 USD which makes them a steal for the features you get.

The 975 and 980's overclock to 4.3GHz on decent air and 4.5GHz on water. Op if your looking at a potential change in motherboards, look at the ASRock 890FX Deluxe 5 or 890GX Extreme 4 rev. 2. They are great overclockers and come with the new UEFI interface Bios. The 890FX is a premier overclocking board. The boards are AM3+ and have AM3b socket. These 2 boards will be real good expecially if you entertain the step up yo bulldozer. Another great board is the Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5. It is socket AM3...... 4.3GHz on good air and 4.5GHz on water with those new 975/980's.

http://www.pureoverc...rticle1267.html

asrock_890fxd5_20.jpg

Edited by Drdeath

would the 212+ get 3.8GHz? is this possible? oh yeah, how does overclocking improve gaming performance, is it the frequency

Overclocking helps reduce potential bottlenecking with higher end graphics cards. In most games, after 3.8Ghz there is no real noticable difference in most games.

4.1Ghz is pretty much tops for 955/965.If you can get 4GHz or close call it a day. IMO

Edited by Drdeath

which out of these two boards are the best- gigabyte 870A-UD3 or gigabyte 880G-UD3H and which one will be better for overclocking the 955? and which is the most stable? and which is the best value?

sorry for so many questions, just curious :whistling:

would the 890GX chipset be good for Oc'ing biggrin.gif

by the way im serious ohmy.gif

Yes. I reviewed the 890GX Extreme 4 and good for overclocking. Make sure you get Rev. 2. The 890FX Deluxe 5 overclocked 100MHz better with same chip and hardware with water/ With a 980 x 4 I got 4.5GHz stable on the deluxe and 4,4GHz stable on water. With good air both got 4.3GHz stable. Obviously the 955 and 965 will not overclock that high.

Edited by Drdeath