Unstable, yet stable?

It appears pretty darn stable from what I've observed. If it's only LinPacks do you think there's a bug in the software or something?

If it crashes in Linpack/OCCT/LinX/IBT it's not fully stable. I don't consider a rig stable unless it passes everything I can throw at it - it's not worth the silent data corruption that can happen with an unstable OC.

I'd slowly back down your OC (or try more volts on various lines) until it can pass Linpack for at least an hour or so. :cheers:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright thanks for the advice guys/gals.

I tried a really high VTT voltage just to see if that made a difference, it did, so I proceeded going lower and lower. I'm able to achieve 15 runs of LinX now--equivalent of about 45 minutes, with about a 1.286 VTT voltage. Only 0.016 voltage increase.

I'll try a longer LinX test in the near future, followed by a Prime95 and 3D load at the same time. I'll Get back to you all after that.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Edit: Should I use OCCT's GPU stress tool for the Prime95 and 3D load test?

Edited by xxmastermushxx

Double post...

I've run LinX for 3Hr 18Min or 68 runs-- is that sufficient? What's the recommended length of time I run LinX to confirm stability?

I usually don't go much past 2 hours or so with LinPack-based tests. :cheers:

The only other test I'd suggest is running Prime95 in the background while simultaneously running the OCCT GPU test or Furmark/Kombuster. If you can still pass Prime95 for 12+ hours when those GPU tests are running it's pretty damn stable. :thumbsup:

Glad you got it worked out! Sorry for the off-topic posts by a few of us. :teehee:

Edited by Waco

If it crashes in Linpack/OCCT/LinX/IBT it's not fully stable. I don't consider a rig stable unless it passes everything I can throw at it - it's not worth the silent data corruption that can happen with an unstable OC.

I'd slowly back down your OC (or try more volts on various lines) until it can pass Linpack for at least an hour or so. :cheers:

Panda I agree. I have corrupted the OS 2 times due to instability. That us what some overclocks do not realize.

I usually don't go much past 2 hours or so with LinPack-based tests. :cheers:

The only other test I'd suggest is running Prime95 in the background while simultaneously running the OCCT GPU test or Furmark/Kombuster. If you can still pass Prime95 for 12+ hours when those GPU tests are running it's pretty damn stable. :thumbsup:

Glad you got it worked out! Sorry for the off-topic posts by a few of us. :teehee:

Man this thing is so tipsy; I tried running overnight this time--going 7 hours--because I wanted to see if it would hold up. It crashed at around the 20th test. I don't see why sometimes it will run long stretches and then others it'll crash within an quarter of an hour. That was at around 1.295V for VTT. I'm going to try 1.311V now and see if that changes anything.

With a BCLK of 197Mhz, is it normal to have a voltage of around 1.35 for VTT?

Edited by xxmastermushxx

I've changed the IMC/VTT voltage to 1.56V and increased the Vcore a little--it now idles at 1.336V and maxes at 1.304V. I ran a test overnight with these voltages and Linx ran 51 passes until it stopped and said this "unexpected error (not enough memory?)"

Edited by xxmastermushxx

Odd. Perhaps something started up in the background mid-run and used up the available memory? LinX / IBT won't run into swap so if you run out of physical memory it simply won't keep running.

If it continues to run a lot of passes without failure I'd be hard-pressed to call it unstable.

Odd. Perhaps something started up in the background mid-run and used up the available memory? LinX / IBT won't run into swap so if you run out of physical memory it simply won't keep running.

If it continues to run a lot of passes without failure I'd be hard-pressed to call it unstable.

Well I ran a test after that "error" for 5 and a half hours without failure. I than restarted the computer and ran another test which lasted 2 hours, until I stopped it. I'll now attempt the Prime95 blend + GPU test to confirm 99.99% stability. :)

Do you think having a VTT Voltage of 1.356 is OK? Do you think a Core Voltage of 1.336 is OK?

Thanks

EDIT: If this FINAL test completes overnight without error, this thread can be confirmed closed. :D

Edited by xxmastermushxx

OK, when I got up this morning to check the results I first noticed: Prime95 Blend (custom, 2.9Gb RAM) was running fine 8.5Hr's in; however Kombustor had a black screen...I did OC my GPU (Intel integrated graphics) to 1.34Ghz and it ran Crysis and these over games fine, at low settings. When it was running earlier the FPS was around 19-20. After with the black screen it was reading 100+ FPS.

Edited by xxmastermushxx