Micro ATX Quiet Case Build

jammin

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few more pictures, seeing as my motherboard got delivered today :D

The DVD Drive hopefully helps with a sense of scale. As you can see, the case is a bit wider than usual.

IMG_0646-1.jpg

And the motherboard box next the case (the board is the same size as the box basically).

IMG_0657-1.jpg

And some more board shots, because that sort of thing is fun.

This is the fanciest board I have owned thus far (I usually go for maximum value).

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0655-1.jpg

Looking forward to being able to put the whole thing together. Hopefully not too long now. Still just the CPU to get.

It's going to be close in terms of size.

It'll certainly be smaller front to back (just under 42cm compared to just under 47cm for my SOLO).

As you can see it will be wider, and the height will probably end up roughly the same because of the top and bottom sections. If those weren't there it'd be quite a bit shorter too.

Of course, the main aim wasn't to make a smaller case than I currently have. The aim was to make it as quiet as possible. Hopefully at the end of it all it will be. :lol:

Edited by jammin

You'd HATE my case then, even I think it's a bit annoying when i first turn it on but I can sleep with it on perfectly fine.

You should use a DB meter and actually test its noise output at idle and load.

Right on! Kinda wish I had checked these work logs out sooner, so many creative and cool projects. This is something you can point your friends to and be proud. :thumbsup:

I like the combo look of the wood and carbon fiber but I had to read this thread over the course of a few days so if you stated this please forgive as I been cramming on these work log threads - is there a reason you went with wood for the top of your case? Was it for the look or does it help with the dampening the sound?

Right on! Kinda wish I had checked these work logs out sooner, so many creative and cool projects. This is something you can point your friends to and be proud. :thumbsup:

I like the combo look of the wood and carbon fiber but I had to read this thread over the course of a few days so if you stated this please forgive as I been cramming on these work log threads - is there a reason you went with wood for the top of your case? Was it for the look or does it help with the dampening the sound?

I am guessing that something like billeted steel/aluminium would have been an option, were it not for the expense of such material. At least with wood and veneer, you can work on it yourself with some basic tools ... shaping metal without a lathe would be pretty tricky/absurd!

Just an assumption - maybe Jammin will advise that it was his intention all along? :)

Nice sense of scale, about how I figured it looks but good to have a way to accurately tell anyway. Fancy looking motherboard, did you mention which processor you're getting or haven't decided yet?

I'll probably end up getting a 2500K unless I come into some money miraculously and can stretch to a 2600K. I'd really like to replace my HD 4850 as well, but that will have to wait.

As for the question about wood for the top of the case, it is indeed largely due to the tools that I have available. I don't have a workshop or any fancy mills, drill presses or metal working equipment so it would have been hard to go down that route. Money is also tight, otherwise I might have thought about something custom machined from billet aluminium, as Silverfox mentioned.

As the top and bottom are easily detachable, there is plenty of scope for updating / changing them in the future. :)

2500K would be a good choice, 2600K even more if you can get the cash together for it. The HD 4850 may hold you back a bit, depending on resolution, but it isn't as necessary to upgrade that right away.

To expand on what wormy said, have you been able to test the sound dampening material to see how quiet a fan is inside the case? If you did ages ago, then have you retested it with the top piece installed to hear the difference?