Micro ATX Quiet Case Build

jammin

Disks can be horizontal with no issues at all.

Metal is a great conductor of heat - but that works both ways (good and bad), so MDF isn't likely a problem, given the air-flow plans.

A coat so it doesn't catch fire? Better do that to anything around the home too, eh?

But I thought the bits would slide off the platters unless it was perfectly level?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What defines a sentence?

But isn't it better to keep the platters horizontal for less mini bumps and and the write head so it doesn't get affected by gravity as much?

isn't metal a better conductor of heat? u gonna put a coat on so it don't catch no fire?

Sentences can be pretty short, true, but I felt what you were saying needed to be expanded a bit so I could get exactly what you were trying to say.

I've seen plenty of rack mounted servers with vertically mounted drives.

I'd want some pretty convincing data showing that mounting them that way really hurt reliability before thinking about changing it.

Metal is of course a better conductor of heat, though how much heat leaves a chassis by conduction (through air, a pretty terrible conductor as well) through the side panels I don't know.

I would imagine it is negligible compared to what gets exhausted by fans.

Regarding fire resistance - there isn't much inside a PC that is going to cause MDF to catch fire, even if it was in direct contact with it (which it won't be).

The foam I'm using is also fire resistant.

<offtopic> *Sigh* The kid doesn't know what a sentence is..... What is being taught in schools these days? I mean seriously, no real math calculators do it, no grammar .... sad. </offtopic>

<ontopic>

Looking good, i cant tell from the pic but does the foam stand out from the mobo tray? If so is it low enough that when a mobo is mounted the disruption of airflow will be negligible?

</ontopic>

It's basically flush with the tray.

The stand-offs mean that the board itself will be a bit above the level of the foam.

I can always trim the foam down a bit more if needed. :)

Progress is looking real good. The carbon fiber looks really sweet on the case, gives it an interesting aesthetic that you don't see very often. Have you been able to test anything inside the case, like a fan or something, to see how well the foam is working?

<offtopic> *Sigh* The kid doesn't know what a sentence is..... What is being taught in schools these days? I mean seriously, no real math calculators do it, no grammar .... sad. </offtopic>

<ontopic>

Looking good, i cant tell from the pic but does the foam stand out from the mobo tray? If so is it low enough that when a mobo is mounted the disruption of airflow will be negligible?

</ontopic>

Don't pick on my age :P

I'm guessing wood would have better acoustic characteristics than metal though?

It depends on the frequency of the sounds you are looking to reduce the impact of.

The worst case is you get resonance in the case somewhere, causing the frame or panels to vibrate and therefore amplify certain frequencies.

I honestly don't know how much affect it is going to have in this case, but I'll be able to tell you when I get some hardware installed. :)

Another update.

After getting the side panels covered I wanted to get the front panel done too.

Test fitting the switch and LEDs

IMG_0685.jpg

I decided a reset switch wasn't necessary, as the only time I would ever use it is if my PC crashed and in that case I can just hold down the power button.

I routed the cables out of one of the holes and zip tied them in place on the panel behind the motherboard tray.

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0109-1.jpg

Now, the vinyl I had left after doing the side panels was a bit less than I had planned for. I should have got a bigger sheet in hindsight.

So I had join two pieces together to cover the whole panel.

IMG_0106-1.jpg

It's not very visible (the photo makes it look worse I think), but I may consider covering the part where the two sheets join with a strip of aluminium I have left over.

That might look quite cool, what do you think?

Edited by jammin