HD5870 temps?

So I am planning to OC my HD5870, and I just ran MSI Kombustor for a few mins and had Everest, HWMON and MSI Afterburner to mesaure temps;

HWMON reads two temperatures, Afterburner only reads core temp, Kombustor also only reads core temp, but Everest reads a core temp, a memory temp... and a shader temp (wtf?)

So anyways I let it run for 5 mins at stock settings and I saw core temps of 83*C, memory temps a bit lower (d'oh I forgot), but Everest's "shader temp" showed 91*C.. and I read somewhere to avoid letting the card reach temps above 89*C.

What is this shader temp and what does its temp matter?

The 89*C cap, is that just for the core (I assumed)?

Cheers

Use GPU-Z to measure your temperatures. It's the most accurate and you'll know that what you see is what you get. Plus the interface is way simpler.

I personally have a few other programs for different needs like Sapphire TRIXX or Afterburner. I do like TRIXX more since it unlocks the voltage control on my rev 2 5870 that otherwise can't be overclocked with the voltage.

Anyways, I suggest you download GPU-Z and check the temps with that then report back. The only temperature you need to worry about is the GPU Temperature and it will clearly be stated in the Monitor tab. There are other temps as well but those are specifics that you don't need to worry about.

Also, a better program for stressing the GPU is FurMark. It's basically the same thing as Kombustor, but better imo. You can also check out Futuremark's 3DMark Vantage if you have windows 7 or Vista, or 3DMark 06 if you're on Xp. Those you'd have to buy so FurMark I think will do just fine.

Use GPU-Z to measure your temperatures. It's the most accurate and you'll know that what you see is what you get. Plus the interface is way simpler.

I personally have a few other programs for different needs like Sapphire TRIXX or Afterburner. I do like TRIXX more since it unlocks the voltage control on my rev 2 5870 that otherwise can't be overclocked with the voltage.

Anyways, I suggest you download GPU-Z and check the temps with that then report back. The only temperature you need to worry about is the GPU Temperature and it will clearly be stated in the Monitor tab. There are other temps as well but those are specifics that you don't need to worry about.

Also, a better program for stressing the GPU is FurMark. It's basically the same thing as Kombustor, but better imo. You can also check out Futuremark's 3DMark Vantage if you have windows 7 or Vista, or 3DMark 06 if you're on Xp. Those you'd have to buy so FurMark I think will do just fine.

Thanks

But I don't like Furmark, I've heard people and Thermaltake say it's "dangerous" to use Furmark since it stresses the GPU way farther then it will ever get, so I prefer Kombustor to be on the safe side. I know you'll prolly say it is safe to use, but I am just too afraid. Don't you think Kombustor will stress it enough to make it viable?

Problem is, you NEED to stress it to full load to test stability. You won't get 100% stable OC's unless you stress to a full load. It won't hurt anything, just monitor your temperatures and keep the fan speed on high. It will blue screen and turn off before anything gets hurt. Just wait a few mins for it to cool down and try again. The blue screen is a GOOD thing, it lets you know you've gone too far and stops automatically before it can go further. Don't be scurred!

Problem is, you NEED to stress it to full load to test stability. You won't get 100% stable OC's unless you stress to a full load. It won't hurt anything, just monitor your temperatures and keep the fan speed on high. It will blue screen and turn off before anything gets hurt. Just wait a few mins for it to cool down and try again. The blue screen is a GOOD thing, it lets you know you've gone too far and stops automatically before it can go further. Don't be scurred!

what he said.