building new gaming rig advice please!!!

hey i'm just building a PC for my bro and need advice

here are the specs:

AMD athlon II X2 260

Gigabyte motherboard (purchased)

liteOn DVD sata drive

seagate 1TB HDD

Antec three hundred

OCZ Falaty 500w

windows 7 HP

gigabyte 5770 SOC

Thanks in advance

:typing:

Go with the Antec One Hundred over the Three Hundred, a little cheaper but nicer case. For only $10 you can get him the same clock speed an an extra core: AMD Athlon II X3 450 so I would consider that route, though personally I would get a Phenom II 840. However with the release of the Phenom II 980 today the price of the 955 which is at $140 right now could very well drop a bit further.

Go with the Antec One Hundred over the Three Hundred, a little cheaper but nicer case. For only $10 you can get him the same clock speed an an extra core: AMD Athlon II X3 450 so I would consider that route, though personally I would get a Phenom II 840. However with the release of the Phenom II 980 today the price of the 955 which is at $140 right now could very well drop a bit further.

$10 is not worth the small size IMO.

My experience with AMD is that if you`re using their processors, get the absolute best one you can afford, or you`ll end up regretting it in a month. The X2 260 is a nice processor, but for very little more you can get serious upgrades. If it`s outside your budget to upgrade though, that build looks solid.

+1 for ComputerEd`s comments.

And the 5770 is an excellent choice - I got my core over 1GHz easily, but temps were a little out of my comfort zone (thought only 85 celsius). I just replaced it last week with a GTX 580.

LMAO at all the OCC member who want $17 AMD PII X4 955's :rofl:

But, seriously OP, the 955 would be completely worth the extra $$$! I would also check Ebay and your local CL, I have seen the 955's go for under $100 used :thumbsup: which is not much more than you are spending on that X2 Athlon ;)

Guest drew209

:woo:

AND

:O

I'll take one to lol ... would be nice!! Get a x3 for a few dollars more. x2 might be obsolete soon :(