Idle @ 44c to hot?

haf 922

silver arrow

just got the ball rolling and turned it on. Got all 3 extra fans in there but to me this seems like a pretty high idle temp.....am I right or am I wrong?

Not really. If you are using the stock fan then Nope. Its not really hot but nor is it cold for a factory clocked chip on a Big HSF.

How much Thermal Compound did you use? Check to make sure you removed the Stupid Sticker on the HSF, Check and make sure its seated properly on the Processor, and finally what kind Of Thermal compound did you use.

Edit: Just an FYI. My I7 920 OC'ed to 4.20ghz idles cooler then that at 40c... BUT I am using Liquid cooling so I am in a little different cooling class.

Not really. If you are using the stock fan then Nope. Its not really hot but nor is it cold for a factory clocked chip on a Big HSF.

How much Thermal Compound did you use? Check to make sure you removed the Stupid Sticker on the HSF, Check and make sure its seated properly on the Processor, and finally what kind Of Thermal compound did you use.

Edit: Just an FYI. My I7 920 OC'ed to 4.20ghz idles cooler then that at 40c... BUT I am using Liquid cooling so I am in a little different cooling class.

Hey, I used AS5 but I have Diamond 7 and chillfactor3.....the Instructions said to apply a thin layer to the heatsink & the cpu......did that and ya.....obviously I gotta re-do it...any recommendations? lol

jeeze nevermind....now that im checking the temp in windows im at 27c ;p...wonder why in the bois screen it says my temp is 44c

Glad to see it came right . Remember that when in BIOS the cpu is NOT idling . The CPU is working hard to start up the computer and start all the processes for the BIOS

35c is about normal idle temps for the stock cooler. You want to try and stay under 70c when under load.

lol i dont have a stock cooler.....my temps are way high for having a silver arrow as my heatsink so I guess im just going to re-apply the thermal paste today

Those aren't bad temps man. Your CPU is very cool, relatively. It can handle up to 100 degrees celcius, so you are really obsessing at this point. Its working fine, and its temps are low. They could be lower, but for what purpose?

I wouldn't keep taking it apart and gobbing thermal paste on it just because you want to see a lower number on a screen. If its working fine, enjoy it.

Remember, temperatures are going to vary for every chip, every heatsink, and every case. You will read about peoples numbers, but these are all going to be distributed over a range- impossible to say exactly what your system "should" be at because your system is unique. Even with the same parts, different systems will perform differently.

That said, you can also check your case temperatures. If you have poor airflow, you can limit your CPU cooler's potential. Not by much, but if a few degrees is whats upsetting you then its worth looking into that before taking your heatsink off again.

Those aren't bad temps man. Your CPU is very cool, relatively. It can handle up to 100 degrees celcius, so you are really obsessing at this point. Its working fine, and its temps are low. They could be lower, but for what purpose?

I wouldn't keep taking it apart and gobbing thermal paste on it just because you want to see a lower number on a screen. If its working fine, enjoy it.

Remember, temperatures are going to vary for every chip, every heatsink, and every case. You will read about peoples numbers, but these are all going to be distributed over a range- impossible to say exactly what your system "should" be at because your system is unique. Even with the same parts, different systems will perform differently.

That said, you can also check your case temperatures. If you have poor airflow, you can limit your CPU cooler's potential. Not by much, but if a few degrees is whats upsetting you then its worth looking into that before taking your heatsink off again.

crap i may be OCD....but in the end Ive got it idling at 30-32c