Mayday! Is my mobo dead?

To clear up the water issue let me tell you this. I have washed all the components of several PCs. Let them dry for 48 hours and they run fine.

Btw, if the board doesn't post how are you flashing the bios and viewing the BIOS? If you can get as far as the bios i would say its either unstable bios settings, or something wrong with your install.

Oh.. just thought of something. I have an old motherboard that refuses to go past bios without a cpu fan plugged in. Could you plug it in and check? (i am assuming with your wc setup nothing is plugged in to that socket)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Btw, if the board doesn't post how are you flashing the bios and viewing the BIOS?

Ugh, how did we not see this? Now I'm confused. :lol:

Lol it's ok, I'm using the ROG Connect software on another PC - my motherboard acts like a USB drive, and the software lets you flash the BIOS while the PC is off, but power is supplied. The motherboard doesn't need to post, it just needs to have power on to let me adjust settings. Very handy feature!

Yes, the pump I have comes with a lead for the CPU_Fan connector. I've also tried plugging the fan I used for the old CPU cooler in, to no avail.

EDIT: Read this page.

Edited by maestr0

• 2 weeks later...

Good news! The CPU RMA was successful! It boots!

Now I have another problem... Windows doesn't recognize ANYTHING. Since I RMA'd the motherboard and recieved a new one OF THE SAME MODEL, I assumed Windows wouldn't care. However, all devices are now "unidentified" (including the LAN) so Windows can't connect to the internet to reinstall drivers. I'm surprised at this, seeing as I never really changed any parts except the new VGA. Is there any way to salvage my Windows installation, or is it time for a fresh start?

Good news! The CPU RMA was successful! It boots!

Now I have another problem... Windows doesn't recognize ANYTHING. Since I RMA'd the motherboard and recieved a new one OF THE SAME MODEL, I assumed Windows wouldn't care. However, all devices are now "unidentified" (including the LAN) so Windows can't connect to the internet to reinstall drivers. I'm surprised at this, seeing as I never really changed any parts except the new VGA. Is there any way to salvage my Windows installation, or is it time for a fresh start?

Windows installs are tied to the mobo I believe, so changing the mobo would cause that. Can you repair or reinstall or is that not an option?