Core i3 540 3.06 running at 3.68 at min, how to overclock to 4.2??

Hello, how can i overclock my i3 540 to 4.2GHz? seen it done but wandering does anybody know how to get there? by the way im a total newbie so be easy on me, thanks :popcorn:

OK update guys, got the i3 540 running 4.2GHz on STOCK COOLER, passed all stress tests running temp in the tests is 72 celius, commens please, any advice on what coolers are best and upgrades please say so, this is my link to newbie post about my hardware CLICKY

OK update guys, got the i3 540 running 4.2GHz on STOCK COOLER, passed all stress tests running temp in the tests is 72 celius, commens please, any advice on what coolers are best and upgrades please say so, this is my link to newbie post about my hardware CLICKY

Yes, it's possible. I've done it and apparently you have too. I don't recommended stay at that speed though without a proper cooler. 72C is pushing it, 60C is what I would consider the limit. If you get yourself a cooler, such as a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ (what I have evilgrin.gif) you'll be able to (depending on your other hardware) push that chip to 4.5Ghz. That's what I'm sporting right now and at a cool 60C, all cores maxed out. Anyway that's what I'd suggest, good luck.

ok, so my dad being nice bought me a Corsair H70 water cooler, think that would do the trick of keeping it cold, what way should i install this cooler for the most effective way of dissipating heat

ok, so my dad being nice bought me a Corsair H70 water cooler, think that would do the trick of keeping it cold, what way should i install this cooler for the most effective way of dissipating heat

Most definitely, I'm wouldn't consider it the best bang for the buck, but it will definitely keep that chip nice and cool...relatively speaking.

I'll let someone else answer the most effective way of mounting the H70. But in the mean time you can view the video Corsair put out describing out to install the H50, they didn't make a video for the H70, but I don't believe there too different. Here's the link:

Good luck.

thanks, yea i thought it would be good, didnt think he would remember what it was, the man hates computers, awel, needing a gaming mobo for i3 540 LGA1156? any ideas? or would the GIGABYTE H55M-S2 do the job?

thanks, yea i thought it would be good, didnt think he would remember what it was, the man hates computers, awel, needing a gaming mobo for i3 540 LGA1156? any ideas? or would the GIGABYTE H55M-S2 do the job?

For me to truly help you pick out a motherboard I'll need to know what other hardware you're using and how much your willing to spend.

Other parts include: RAM (memory), CPU (you say the i3 540?), GPU [graphics card(s)], PSU (power supply) etc... I can throw some out for you now, but without knowing what you're using it for, if you're going to over-clock, how much you can spend... I can't help you very much.

Here's a good motherboard selection to get you started: Motherboard Selection.

ok for help with a mobo, here is the specs:

Core i3 540 @ 4.2 GHz

Kingston KVR1333D3N9/2G 2GB X 2 RAM

SATA DVD DL Drive Sony

WESTERN DIGITAL 500GB CAVIER GREEN 32MB SATA

EZCOOL A180D GAMING CASE SIDE WINDOW, NO PSU

SAPPHIRE TECHNOLOGY ATI RADEON 6870 HD 970 MHz 1GB PCI-E HDMI TOXIC, free game Total War :Shogun 2

Corsair CX500W

H70 Corsair water cooler

ARTIC SILVER TERMAL PASTE between CPU and H70

wanna spend up to £140

ok for help with a mobo, here is the specs:

Core i3 540 @ 4.2 GHz

Kingston KVR1333D3N9/2G 2GB X 2 RAM

SATA DVD DL Drive Sony

WESTERN DIGITAL 500GB CAVIER GREEN 32MB SATA

EZCOOL A180D GAMING CASE SIDE WINDOW, NO PSU

SAPPHIRE TECHNOLOGY ATI RADEON 6870 HD 970 MHz 1GB PCI-E HDMI TOXIC, free game Total War :Shogun 2

Corsair CX500W

H70 Corsair water cooler

ARTIC SILVER TERMAL PASTE between CPU and H70

wanna spend up to £140

Sorry for the wait, I'm busy with school work. The semesters almost over, so large piles of homework need doing.

Nice system you got there. I'll look into some motherboards based off your specs. I assume you want to over-clock. I mean, who doesn't! :)

I believe the Asus P7P55D would be a good choice. If all your looking for is a good gaming mobo then this will definitely do it. It should also have plenty of room for over-clocking.

I'm afraid it's really hard to find gaming board compatible with I3's since they're business chips (LOL) not gaming chips. Which means there compatible with only a select few 1156 motherboards.

Hope thats helps a little.

Sorry for the wait, I'm busy with school work. The semesters almost over, so large piles of homework need doing.

Nice system you got there. I'll look into some motherboards based off your specs. I assume you want to over-clock. I mean, who doesn't! :)

I believe the Asus P7P55D would be a good choice. If all your looking for is a good gaming mobo then this will definitely do it. It should also have plenty of room for over-clocking.

I'm afraid it's really hard to find gaming board compatible with I3's since they're business chips (LOL) not gaming chips. Which means there compatible with only a select few 1156 motherboards.

Hope thats helps a little.

Nice board selection but OP is in North Ireland.