pump in midle of loop

olokul

ok i have 3 DD / Laing DDC 3.2 - 12V 18 Watt pumps in my case and 2 DD12V-D5 Pump Variable Speed pumps on my shelf. how efficient are they if i set my loop up like this

res->waterblock->pump->rad->res

i want to do this kind of loop for both cpu/motherboard and a second loop on videocards

the reason i ask is im working on a waterblock that will have 3 158w peltiers on it cooling a water loop that will then run in a coil in a reservoir. then im going to pump the cooled water from the reservoirs into my blocks on the CPU/MB/GPUS but i what the water to pass through the blocks first as to not pick up any heat from the pumps (i will also have another block on the back side of the peltiers to cool those down)

i know its a round about way to cool a system but the average joe can just put a peltier under a block on the cpu, i like to make things hard and still try to get the same effect. plus you can still say that its water cooled cause the peltiers are not actually cooling the chips them self

Pump placement in the loop makes little to no difference at all in the end. Just make sure they are downstream from your reservoir and that's really all that matters in a closed loop.

It's a loop, so there's not really a beginning or end...therefore nothing is really in the middle. I always run my tubing so that I go from pump -> rad -> block so that I ensure maximum heat dissipation right before the water enters the block. I don't like pumping water through my rad and then dumping into the res, but that's just a personal opinion and how I like to set my loops up.

Here's how my Intel rig is currently setup: (dual pumps / EK Top)

Pump -> CPU_Rad -> CPU_Block -> GPU_Rad -> GPU_Blocks -> Res

Its really a preference thing. I like running a nice big res and going res>pump>block>rad then back to res. Just make sure that you are going from res to pump, preferably with the res higher then the pump (to prevent dry starts and premature wear of the pump) and you'll be fine. If you are just running a "T" or fill port instead of a traditional res in a completely bled system then even that is not totally necessary, since the whole loop will always be completely filled and you will never be running the pump dry even if its above the res.

I have tested a couple different setups using both a temp probe in my res and the onboard sensors at the same time and noticed little to no difference. I just like going from pump to block since the flow is strongest right after the pump...but even that depends on the block being used, since some like lower flow and others like quicker.

::edit:: Nuc, nice to see you around. Long time no see.

Edited by Puck

my computer is already watercooled im just trying to A. get my temps cooler B. get it into a smaller case right now my setup is in a lian li full tower case and is hard to move to lan partys plus is just heavy as hell

d7725c8e.jpg

was thinking today how would the pump handle this

cpu-> mb->.................................... cpu-> mb

....................> pump-> rad-> res<

.....gpus..........................................gpus

( sorry about the .... but it would not keep the gaps how i wantend them)

would that be to much water for the pump making the waterblocks have less flow? or once again am i being a little to anal about this and should not worry. maybe once i get my blocks made i might try running 3/8 hose from the res to the blocks then from the blocks to the Y then 1/2 from the Y to the pump to help with flow rates.

right now i use 3/8 hose but if i go this way ill use one of the DD12V-D5 pumps that have 1/2" barbs so ill switch everything to 1/2"

Edited by olokul

Going from 3/8 to 1/2, your not going to get that big of a difference for flow rate between the two. Plus 1/2 is a little harder to work with as it does not like to bend with out kinking.

Your trying to cool your coolant instead of cooling the components that generate the heat. This is a extremely inefficient way of doing this.

The peltiers are suppose to be placed right on the components that generates the heat like the CPU. This way your getting the maximum amount of cooling from the peltiers. Which if the peltiers has a higher wattage of cooling power then the output of heat generated from the CPU, your going to get very low temps. (more room for overclocking).

What your trying to do is cool the water in your system which will drop the water temp only a few degrees which will be like only adding more fans to a rad

What your trying to do is cool the water in your system which will drop the water temp only a few degrees which will be like only adding more fans to a rad

With big enough pelts he should be able to keep his system stable at near-ambient temps (or cooler). The big problems is that as soon as his water gets below ambient (and it would) condensation is going to be a biatch. :glare:

Definitely agree on the 3/8" versus 1/2" tubing - most testing online that's done well shows a maximum of a percent or two difference between the two.