Eyefinity

Twinings

Just posted this on the AMD support site - However as i havent received Delivery of the items yet they cant support me (Automated email)

Thought next best place would be here!! any information would be appreciated??

Hi Guys, i have just purchased an MSI R6950 2GB card and 3 Samsung Syncmaster BX2431 Displays (2 HDMI 1 VGA) I have been to AMD Eyefinity Validated Dongles, I understand that "• A maximum of 2 legacy monitors (VGA, DVI or HDMI) can be enabled simultaneously, provided that each monitor is connected either directly or via a “passive” DisplayPort™ adapter/dongle. “Passive” adapters/dongles will NOT support more than 2 legacy monitors. • To enable support for more than 2 monitors, “active” DisplayPort™ adapters/dongles are required (or monitors with direct DisplayPort™ connectivity must be used). Your supported list doesnt give an ACTIVE Mini Display to HDMI adaptor - Does this mean there isnt one? and i cannot use Eyefinity?

I don't understand why people have such a problem understanding eyefinity set up. With your 6950, you can use your DVI outputs paired with a DVI to HDMI adapter so you will be able to connect to your monitors. For the third monitor you will need an ACTIVE displayport adapter (the $30 one will be perfect for your monitor since you can't go above 1920x1200). Go into CCC, organize your monitors so they are aligned correctly, and ta-da... eyefinity! Hope that answers your question, couldn't understand half of what you were asking.

Just posted this on the AMD support site - However as i havent received Delivery of the items yet they cant support me (Automated email)

Thought next best place would be here!! any information would be appreciated??

Hi Guys, i have just purchased an MSI R6950 2GB card and 3 Samsung Syncmaster BX2431 Displays (2 HDMI 1 VGA) I have been to AMD Eyefinity Validated Dongles, I understand that "• A maximum of 2 legacy monitors (VGA, DVI or HDMI) can be enabled simultaneously, provided that each monitor is connected either directly or via a “passive” DisplayPort™ adapter/dongle. “Passive” adapters/dongles will NOT support more than 2 legacy monitors. • To enable support for more than 2 monitors, “active” DisplayPort™ adapters/dongles are required (or monitors with direct DisplayPort™ connectivity must be used). Your supported list doesnt give an ACTIVE Mini Display to HDMI adaptor - Does this mean there isnt one? and i cannot use Eyefinity?

The sapphire cards (im not sure about MSI) all come with a miniDP->DP adapter, if yours doesnt you will need to buy one or wait for the miniDP->DVI active adapters to come out (I have seen a few)

I don't understand why people have such a problem understanding eyefinity set up. With your 6950, you can use your DVI outputs paired with a DVI to HDMI adapter so you will be able to connect to your monitors. For the third monitor you will need an ACTIVE displayport adapter (the $30 one will be perfect for your monitor since you can't go above 1920x1200). Go into CCC, organize your monitors so they are aligned correctly, and ta-da... eyefinity! Hope that answers your question, couldn't understand half of what you were asking.

t0asty I agree Eyefinity + Adaptors queries in all forums are getting way too much press. However My monitors only have 2 HDMI and 1 VGA - But isnt the adaptor your recommending (if same as Speedways link below) is mini port to DVI - do i then need a DVI to HDMI adaptor to connect with my third screen? Sorry if this all makes perfect sense to you!!! Cheers for the comment.

yeah, you would need just a simple DVI to HDMI connector. That doesn't have to be any special powered device. After that, you are golden.

Thanks Man, I actualy received a reply from AMD - they say its not possible and i need to buy a at least 1 monitor with a DP on it - twats, is a word that springs to mind!

no you don't have to have a monitor with displayport on it. I have a 6950 card and three monitors with 1 HDMI and 1 VGA connections a piece. I have a DVI-HDMI cable going to one monitor. A regular HDMI cable going to the other one, and for the third monitor I am using THIS ADAPTER along with another DVI to HDMI cable. Works perfect. There's no reason why you can't use that exact same setup?