can I re-format my D: drive?

nice_shoes

I tried to search the forum, but couldn't find what I needed, so here goes............my previous system was WindowsXP loaded onto my old C: drive, which is a regular rotating hard drive.

I upgraded my system by doing the following:

•  
  • added a 64GB SSD as my new C; drive
  • installed Windows7
  • and kept my previous hard drive as the new D; drive.

I did NOT delete anything from the new D: drive, so it still has WindowsXP on it as well as a lot of my old data.

Now, I am running low on space, so I'd like to re-format the D: drive, but I'm not sure that I can do this. I think that maybe Windows7 uses the D: drive to backup some data in case of trouble with the OS. Or perhaps there may be another reason not to re-format.

Will I get into trouble by doing this? Also, if I do re-format, and I want to go back, will the RESTORE function of Windows7 return the D: drive to its previous non-formatted condition? Maybe it might be safer to just delete the windows directory and some of the other stuff from the old hard drive, but I'd rather re-format if I can do it without causing a lot of trouble.

I tried to search the forum, but couldn't find what I needed, so here goes............my previous system was WindowsXP loaded onto my old C: drive, which is a regular rotating hard drive.

I upgraded my system by doing the following:

•  
  • added a 64GB SSD as my new C; drive
  • installed Windows7
  • and kept my previous hard drive as the new D; drive.

I did NOT delete anything from the new D: drive, so it still has WindowsXP on it as well as a lot of my old data.

Now, I am running low on space, so I'd like to re-format the D: drive, but I'm not sure that I can do this. I think that maybe Windows7 uses the D: drive to backup some data in case of trouble with the OS. Or perhaps there may be another reason not to re-format.

Will I get into trouble by doing this? Also, if I do re-format, and I want to go back, will the RESTORE function of Windows7 return the D: drive to its previous non-formatted condition? Maybe it might be safer to just delete the windows directory and some of the other stuff from the old hard drive, but I'd rather re-format if I can do it without causing a lot of trouble.

you can format your D drive, normally windows 7 will take 100mb off your C drive to have system files. so your D should just be windows xp and your stored stuff.

now if u format your hard drive and try do the restore function short answer no you wont get it back once you format it is gone for good unless u find a really go program that will bring stuff back there are some out there but would be fast just to burn to cd/dvd what u really want to keep.

Unless you have installed new programs on the D: drive, win 7 will not have anything on there. And, to my knowledge, the restoring function in windows 7 only applies to where the OS is saved. I have (2) 500 GB harddrives, and only one has the OS and applications and programs. the other is just like an external HDD (i use it to save files), only easier and faster.

once you re-format, there isnt really any going back...unless you get some serious data recovery stuff going on lol

• 3 months later...

thanks for the responses...........I've formatted the D: drive, and freed up much space............so far no adverse effects on the system. Again, thanks!!

Hey, im having the same problem.. Its just that im using a 32-bit window. Would you please help me to reformat my D drive? I have no idea what to do.. Thanks.

right click on the D: drive and select format....it really is just that simple

The problem is when i do that, they say windows are unable to complete the format. Im having 2 files in the drive that can't be deleted as well.. its the program file and windows..

This is really frustrating.. :(

If I was trying to do what you're doing, I would unplug the D: drive and see if Windows was adversely affected. If not, you can try a disc erasing program off a bootable disk, like was mentioned above.

The problem is when i do that, they say windows are unable to complete the format. Im having 2 files in the drive that can't be deleted as well.. its the program file and windows..

This is really frustrating.. :(

Boot up the your Windows disk and use the partition manager to format the disk you want erased. Then restart your computer.

If that doesn't work, your hard drive could be dying.