New to overclocking

Welcome to OCC! (first time I have said that)

I have a simliar board to you, I think I have the next one up from yours, and I have a 1090t but I believe I have the same ram as you, and I found that when I forced it to do 1600Mhz (always wants to default to 1333) that eventually I would start getting blue screens. They were just random ones nothing to outragous. When I put the ram back to auto all the Blue Screens stopped. So hopfully you won't have that issue, plus I am running at 4Ghz not 3.8. If you do start to have blue screens I would put your ram to auto and see if that makes a difference. Also I bet you could get your CPU to 4Ghz pretty easily.

As for the Prime95 getting very hot, like someone else said, yes it does get hot and it is designed to get hot so you can see if your setup will last in extream situations. Will you ever in normal use get that way, I doubt it but hey, it is good to know that you could if you needed to.

Good Luck and keep going!

Thanks dude, that helped me get up to 3.9Ghz. When the full version of Shogun 2 comes out I might try getting all the way up to 4 Ghz. But again, thanks for the great advice about the Ram freq!

haha you're right, that is a pretty good guide.

one thing though, how bad is it that when I adjust my CPU NB voltage in BIOS, it goes yellow?

Also on the ASUS boards, it goes "yellow" 1st, then "red" :evilgrin: I have quite a few settings in the "yellow" with everything running solid. Just always make sure to monitor temps closely when overclocking ;)

Thanks dude, that helped me get up to 3.9Ghz. When the full version of Shogun 2 comes out I might try getting all the way up to 4 Ghz. But again, thanks for the great advice about the Ram freq!

Glad I could help. Hope you enjoy your new rig!

Welcome to OCC Ballsofcurry

Way to go. That's a pretty nice OC for that chip and A first time. Next step up you may have to Mess with your NB frequency but if it runs ok that high I'd leave it.

If you need a better cooling solution on your way to 4ghz the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ is the best one for the money. :D If it can get an I7 920 up to 3.90Ghz @ 1.300v it should do just fine with the Phenom II :thumbsup: