gaming mouse

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which mouse?

• Logitech G500
    • CM Storm Sentinel Advance
    • Mionix Naos 5000
    • Other (specify in post)

I've been thinking of getting a new gaming mouse for quite some time now, but the opportunity never arose. My MX518 has been working very well for a good number of years, and I just never had any reason to replace it. Newer shinier mice came out every year, and I kept track of the ones I wanted to try, and now it looks as though I have the perfect excuse:

I recently got a new laptop that did not have the Trackpoint I had grown so used to and the touchpad is driving me up a wall. So now I'm considering of using the faithful 518 with the lappy wherever it goes, and getting one of them newer fancier mice I've been dreaming of.

Here are the things I've been looking at:

Logitech's G500 - seems like the logical continuation

CM Storm Sentinel Advance

Mionix Naos 5000

If you've got any other mice in mind tell me, but keep in mind that I'm not at all interested in Razer mice.

While I like girthy mice, I am particularly against wireless rodents. I don't know why, as I'm sure nowadays the tech is up to a level where I can't quote responsiveness as a reason, but I still dislike cordless mice.

Depends on you. I find that I like to hold a mouse a particular way so some work better than others. I have a logitech G5 which, from the pictures, looks a lot like the G500 you posted. Honestly though, which mouse you use is a personal preference IMO.

While I like girthy mice, I am particularly against wireless rodents. I don't know why, as I'm sure nowadays the tech is up to a level where I can't quote responsiveness as a reason, but I still dislike cordless mice.

I was a bit the same, mainly because battery life etc, but the X8 has a magnetic wore connection that allows you to run it battery less or charge the batteries (if nicad). Rsponse isn't an issue. I love the tilt wheel in FPS hames.

I had the G5 and loved it and when it broke Logitech sent me a G500 for free, which I don't really like as much. The G5 has a really nice earthy, bumpy feel to it, whereas the G500 just has that smooth plastic feel like any other mouse. The G500 can only have 3 sensitivity settings whereas the G5 could have 5 set (maybe it's not a big deal). I liked the more rounded mousewheel on the G5 better than the G500's which has flatter sides. The G500's middle mouse click had already broken within about 2 weeks of use and so I had to assign the middle click to a different button. I would say neither are as sturdy as people say they are. But I honestly I can't really think of any improvements of the G500 over the G5.

But I haven't tried any of the other 2 you mentioned, so I don't really have a vote for any of them, I just thought I'd mention the G5, because I think it's great, if you can still find one.

Edited by malmsteenisgod

I never really had any trouble with the cord tangling on things, as it's looped through the desk and onto the little keyboard drawer.

I managed to find the g5 at amazon for well over $100!!! I found it cheaper at some places that I never heard of. This puts it firmly out of the race, but I do thank you for the suggestion.

I had the G5 and loved it and when it broke Logitech sent me a G500 for free, which I don't really like as much. The G5 has a really nice earthy, bumpy feel to it, whereas the G500 just has that smooth plastic feel like any other mouse. The G500 can only have 3 sensitivity settings whereas the G5 could have 5 set (maybe it's not a big deal). I liked the more rounded mousewheel on the G5 better than the G500's which has flatter sides. The G500's middle mouse click had already broken within about 2 weeks of use and so I had to assign the middle click to a different button. I would say neither are as sturdy as people say they are. But I honestly I can't really think of any improvements of the G500 over the G5.

But I haven't tried any of the other 2 you mentioned, so I don't really have a vote for any of them, I just thought I'd mention the G5, because I think it's great, if you can still find one.

The G500 can have 5 sensitivity settings, you just have to set it up in logitec setpoint first.

I cant recommend the g500 enough. The thing I like about it the most is the toggleable scroll wheel.

I went from G5 to G500, and I'm liking it so far. I did like the surface area of the G5 better (and the blue color), as well as the button layout, but there were some glitches with the G5 that doesn't happen with the G500. I had to smack the G5 a couple of times so that it would work, but only on a few occasions every now and then (which got to be pretty annoying).

Logitech G700. You get a wired and wireless mouse in the same package. I think you also get 2 batteries so when 1 charges the other can keep your mouse going wirelessly although I don't think the cable charges the mouse.

Microsoft X8 is really cool since it charges with the cable and you can keep gaming. Also, I used to hate wireless too but this mouse seems to have better accuracy than some wired mice. Honestly it has never ever not moved where I want it to and I usually have my phone with 3g next to it and I use a wireless adapter for internet and nothing interferes with the signal of the mouse. My only issue with it is the scroll wheel, I think it may have just been some dust but sometimes its a bit unresponsive. There was a period of 1 week or so(few months back) where it would not work well at all but now its fine again, so it must have just been dust or food.

Edited by Krieg1337