Option to change Voltage in Bios

Hi guys , i'm new to all these overclocking stuff and i'm trying to OC my q6600 to 3.0 . I'm having no problem OCing it to 3.0 but i've googled and seen many with 3.0 @ 1.1 - 1.2v but mine is 1.3 stocked . I've tried the voltage option in bios but it doesn't allow me to lower my Voltage , the only option is to increase +0.5 / + 1 / +1.5. So is there anything i could do to enable more variables ? I've tried disabling speedstep and c1e too but it doesn't help and i re-enable them because i get lower temp using those options .

My temperature are 35-38 idle and 60-65 under load using Realtemp 95c TJmax . I figured it's safe since the distance to tjmax is always >30 , am i right ?

Here's the link to my mobo/bios manual http://www.biostar.com.tw/upload/Manual/IG41A-M7S_090206_B.zip

Specs :

Q6600 g0 2.4 @ 3.0 with speedstep and c1e

G41-m7 Biostars mobo

Kingston 800mhz ram

GT130 vga

Stock cooler

Thanks ! and sorry for bad english

Edited by freddwzz

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The voltage limits you are encountering are because of your bios. Unfortunately the only chance of getting more voltage control would be if there is an updated bios for your motherboard that supports more voltages.

Disabling speed step is not the answer. Speed step will lower your clock rate and voltages (this is why you saw the lower temps), based on the load that is on your processor. When you are not dong anything intensive it will automatically lower the settings. Some times it can be helpful to disable speed step while overclocking to avoid instability that may occur when the clock rate and voltages are automatically adjusted. The good news is that your temps look good, so you do have some room to overclock more. My advice for now is to see how far you can go with the stock 1.3v. You should be able to get a pretty good overclock with that if you have a good chip.

Edited by Lackadaisical

The voltage limits you are encountering are because of your bios. Unfortunately the only chance of getting more voltage control would be if there is an updated bios for your motherboard that supports more voltages.

Disabling speed step is not the answer. Speed step will lower your clock rate and voltages (this is why you saw the lower temps), based on the load that is on your processor. When you are not dong anything intensive it will automatically lower the settings. Some times it can be helpful to disable speed step while overclocking to avoid instability that may occur when the clock rate and voltages are automatically adjusted. The good news is that your temps look good, so you do have some room to overclock more. My advice for now is to see how far you can go with the stock 1.3v. You should be able to get a pretty good overclock with that if you have a good chip.

I guess there's no way to lower my voltage since i'm using the latest bios for my mobo . I've tried disabling speedstep and OCing it to 3.0 with 1.3v but there's a difference in temperature , it around 5c higher underload so i'm sticking to speedstep . Thanks for clarifying! now i won't have to google ways to lower my voltage anymore .

I guess there's no way to lower my voltage since i'm using the latest bios for my mobo . I've tried disabling speedstep and OCing it to 3.0 with 1.3v but there's a difference in temperature , it around 5c higher underload so i'm sticking to speedstep . Thanks for clarifying! now i won't have to google ways to lower my voltage anymore .

I really recomend you to get a entry AirCooler, with around ~20€ you can get a AC Freezer 7 Pro Rev2 , and 25€ a AC Freezer 13, and then you have at 30€ the Hyper 212 Plus.

Going past 1,3v with small Stock cooler ins't such a good ideia.

I really recomend you to get a entry AirCooler, with around ~20€ you can get a AC Freezer 7 Pro Rev2 , and 25€ a AC Freezer 13, and then you have at 30€ the Hyper 212 Plus.

Going past 1,3v with small Stock cooler ins't such a good ideia.

i'll prolly get 1 when i get a job rofl . I downclocked it to 2.8 because i tried playing Prototype and the distance to TJmax is <30 , i just want to keep it safe and try not to go less than 30 .

And guys should i manual set my RAM speed ?

Spec for RAM now :

post-76244-12994576578627_thumb.jpg

i'll prolly get 1 when i get a job rofl . I downclocked it to 2.8 because i tried playing Prototype and the distance to TJmax is <30 , i just want to keep it safe and try not to go less than 30 .

And guys should i manual set my RAM speed ?

Spec for RAM now :

post-76244-12994576578627_thumb.jpg

Any help for RAM?

What are your available memory multipliers? You'll probably want to pick something so that the multiplier times your FSB is close to 800. Then you'll want to find the timing and voltage information for your specific model of RAM and set everything manually.

What are your available memory multipliers? You'll probably want to pick something so that the multiplier times your FSB is close to 800. Then you'll want to find the timing and voltage information for your specific model of RAM and set everything manually.

I have no idea how to check that , it's ddr2 2gb 800mhz .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys , I successfully lowered my load temp by 8oC by lowering the voltage to 1.23v using Rightmark Utility :) but i still can't get to 3.0ghz and i think it's a RAM issue . The BIOS doesn't even allow me to change ram timing , it only has fixed option 667 spd or 800 spd . Anyway i'm glad that i found this utilty and lowered my temp and encourage people who has the same issue as me to use it .

Thanks everyone for the help !