Sound Skipping on HP Pavilion

Alexandre

Hi guys,

My mate has a HP Pavilion DV63006TX Laptop with a i5 430M CPU, 4 gig DDR3 RAM @ 1066MHz, HD5650M graphics card and 2TB HDD.

Since about the time Windows 7 SP1 came out (22nd Feb) his laptop has begun randomly skipping music on multiple music software including Windows Media Player, iTunes, etc.

He uses an external sound card (will fill in the sound card details here when I obtain them) but he has noticed the same issue when using his on-board sound as well as his external sound card.

An interesting observation is that when the music skips, his CPU activity jumps from 3-4% to 20% for a split second before coming back down to the standard idling 3-4% usage.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be the cause of this problem?

Cheers in advance :)

Update:

My friend thinks it is temperature related because when the ambient temperature went down to 10 C at night the music stopped skipping.

According to RealTemp, his laptop's CPU cores idle at 52 C and peaks at 85 C which is pretty high for a laptop IMO....But don't know what he could do about that heat - it's not like he can reseat his heatsink.

The only thing I could think of that could help was to clean the dust out his fans. Do you guys have any other ideas or does he need to get some professional help?

The computer is less than a year old now so I am sure it is under warranty.

Edited by Alexandre

Do you happen to have any idea what the temps were like before SP1 came out?

Unfortunately not. He only found out about RealTemp today after I told him about it. He says that it has happened before (a few months ago) when the laptop got hot during summer so he's doubting it is an issue with SP1. I, however am not sure if it would be related to SP1.

If it is temp related, only way to check for sure would be to wait until it starts to cool down for you guys and see if it skips again. I'd also clean out the vents as best you can, never hurts to have them get clear airflow. If it isn't due to temps, has he updated any drivers recently or anything of that nature?

Sounds good, hopefully it can get taken care of. Did they offer any idea of what it could be causing it?

Well he's basically getting it repaired/replaced due to heat issues - he explained the temps and they offered a service since he bought it last year. The CPU spikes and skipping have a direct correlation to the temperature and hopefully when he gets that fixed those issues will go as well.

Update:

My friend thinks it is temperature related because when the ambient temperature went down to 10 C at night the music stopped skipping.

According to RealTemp, his laptop's CPU cores idle at 52 C and peaks at 85 C which is pretty high for a laptop IMO....But don't know what he could do about that heat - it's not like he can reseat his heatsink.

The only thing I could think of that could help was to clean the dust out his fans. Do you guys have any other ideas or does he need to get some professional help?

The computer is less than a year old now so I am sure it is under warranty.

he could reseat it! :lol:

maybe the sound card ain't compatible with sp1?

Edited by Dan The Gamer

do a system restore for before the SP!1 was installed an see what happens.if not working you could just system restore to yesterday with all intact.

Yeah after a bit of discussion apparently my mate said it started doing the skipping before SP1 - sometime last year. So it probably won't be the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion though :)