Major predicament...

Onion

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the problem is that the routers (if on same network) will not work well with each other. a range extender (which really is what you need) has to be connected by wire to your main router, otherwise thay will sent conflicting packages and a lot of horrible other stuff (talk to each other and whatnot) and routers are not designed do be enslaved by other routers. Another solution would be to have two different wireless networks somehow, but i don't know how to make that work within a lan...

I think the length limit on cat5 is about 300ft so that shouldnt be the problem... at all.

Routers should play fine with each other providing you disable the DHCP servers on the ones you are just using as dumb switches/access points.

My home network uses three routers (with just the main one doing the job of a router of course), like this:

mynetwork.jpg

Since the netgear one works, I'll stick to this. My main question though, how in the world can I get to the configuration page for it? It just doesn't work! :wacko:

wow... i read this thread and my head exploded. now i am going to make some heads explode. I am a networking guy, so i am pretty sure i can help you out with this problem. there are a few things that we need to work on.

You can't have a static ip in there unless assigned by your ISP... get that 192.168.1.200 address out and make that dynamic.

the 192.168.x.x networks are all private IPs and do not actually get seen by ATT they get PATed.

So your UVERSE box should have 2 different IPs one on your private network in your house, and the other that talks to the interwebs. It should also have a DHCP scope; something along the lines of 192.168.1.x-y. the reason that you cannot get the netgear and the UVERSE to talk is because they are on different networks (192.168.1.x vs 192.168.0.x) so basically you can make your private network whatever you want in the private schemes. but lets stick with the UVERSE default of 192.168.1.x. your UVERSE router and netgear wireless AP and your linksys "router" should each have their own statically assigned IPs. This also applies to any other media/application server you have (i.e. if you want you stream you videos to you xbox it makes it easier to always have the same IP address). It is standard to choose the first available IPs for this. in this case they are 192.168.1.1 thru 5 -- 192.168.1.1 should be set to your uverse router and the others just set aside for now.

now to set this up i would start by resetting the netgear to its factory settings and plug in your computer to the switch port. Next you have to set your computer with a static IP within the netgear's network. go with IP as 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask as 255.255.255.0. and to login to the netgear follow this link. You will want to set the IP address of the netgear to one of the three that you set aside along with appropriate subnet mask and the default gateway and DNS server should be set as 192.168.1.1 (uverse router). also ensure that the DHCP options are DISABLED on the netgear WAP. you may also at this time, want to change the log in and password as well. When you save and apply the settings you will no longer be able to access the netgear. DONT PANIC you need to change your computers IP address to one of the other IPs you set aside. go with 192.168.1.5.

re log in to the netgear and now you will want to match this guys wireless settings to your UVERSE settings. i personally do not have uverse and have not worked on either piece of gear but i am going off of the online manual. page 22: make sure the SSID, network names, and authentication(if you are using it very recommended) are the EXACT same, capitalization matters. now what you will want to do is separate the wireless channels. The recommended Channel spacing between adjacent access points is 5 Channels this way you get the least amount of interference between the two of them. now you just need to decide where you want to place your access point and run the cable to it. Then connect the UVERSE router to the netgear's switch port and you should be getting the goodness.

From here i am going to gather you get the idea, and will be able to do the same for your linksys "router" and other sorts of business. just set your computer back to DHCP and you should be set to roam the house wirelessly without any interruptions in connection. if you have more questions or think i missed anything let me know.

EDIT: P.S. Cat5e is perfectly suitable and preferable to Cat6: it is more economical and performs almost as well. However, if the volume of the data being transmitted calls for certified gigabit performance, then Cat6 is the way to go. They both are rated at 100M(~320ft) before attenuation will make the link unusable. One does not necessarily work at a longer length than the other, just depends on where you want to run it. Cat6 is a Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) which helps reduce crosstalk and other external sources of EMIm whereas Cat5e is Unshielded Twisted Pair.

Edited by Griever2003