Major predicament...

Onion

Nope, I've done that many times in a period of a couple days, plugging a cable in has never worked for me.

Once I reset it, it works just fine as an access point. I could settle for it working like that, but ideally, I'd like my network to be secure from the 14 year old gangbangers on their laptops driving around my house.

I can easily disable the linksys' DHCP server. Can I just pick any IP in the network range that the uverse router says is ok for the linksys? Do I have to set all my laptops as non-dhcp?

Edit: Here's my current config, I'm getting an error.

Static IP

Internet IP address: 192.168.1.200

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Static DNS 1: 192.168.1.1

Static DNS 2: 192.168.1.254

Router name: BLANK

Host name: BLANK

Domain name: BLANK

MTU: Auto

Local IP Address: 192.168.1.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (This one is a dropdown menu)

DHCP: Disabled

I get an error saying "The Local IP Address and Internet IP Address can't be in the same network!" when I try to save settings.

Edited by l33t p1mp

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can easily disable the linksys' DHCP server. Can I just pick any IP in the network range that the uverse router says is ok for the linksys?

Yep, that's how it should work - so something like 192.168.1.253 would make sense to me (if it's not already taken by something else).

Do I have to set all my laptops as non-dhcp?

The DHCP server on the uverse should still assign IPs just as it did before assuming everything is setup correctly. So no.

edit: probably going to need screenshots of both routers' configuration screens to troubleshoot problems properly.

Edited by jammin

Ok, the top section isn't important as you're not using the modem part of this router to connect to your ISP.

You can swap all those ip address for 0.0.0.0

The bottom "network setup" section should be fine how it is I think.

Swapped them all for 0.0.0.0, which is how they were as default. I try to save it, and it says "IP value is illegal!"

Edit: I changed the top part as follows.

Static IP

Internet IP: 192.168.2.1

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Static DNS 1 and 2 are both: 0.0.0.0

I then get an error saying "IP address and gateway is not at same subnet mask!" What's that mean?

Edit: If I set it to DHCP (Auto config) for the top part, all the IP stuff goes away, and the second part is still there. I save it, but I still get the DNS error from windows and can't access any webpages.

Edited by l33t p1mp

There is probably a 'dynamic' option from the drop down at the top too. It should decide those values for itself then (or at least stop complaining about the 0.0.0.0 addresses I hope).

From the drop down, I have auto config - DHCP, Static IP, PPPoE, PPTP, and Telstra BigPond. As I said above in the edit, DHCP gets rid of the IP stuff, and makes it stop complaining, but I still get the DNS errors.

SOunds to me like your having an issue because you still have two routers on the same network... You need to configure one as just a wireless access point. Two routers, Two DHCP servers, Two DNS Servers... That never works unless controlled(like by a Domain controller or something else of that nature). Two simple house devices will CONSTANTLY interfere with each other.

Maybe this has been addressed already? I didnt ahve time to read the entire post.