Overclocking problems on a Phenom 955 BE

rush77

Hi,

This is the first time I'm trying to oc (after reading many many guides and advises.

I bought recently a Phenom II X4 955 BE (C3 stepping if matters) and I'm trying to overclock it (for now just changing the multiplier).

I reached the 3.7 without problems but when I pushed it to 3.8 it just rebooted after a second of running Prime.

I increased the voltage step by step to check if I can get it stable but I finished with 1,475v and still rebooting on prime. (with 1,475v it's not rebboting after a second but after 5 min)

I haven't changed the ref clock just increased the multiplier.

It can't be any temp issue as I have a Noctua NH-D14 installed.

Can anyone help me what to do?

Thanks in advance

Hi.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE

Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

MB: ASrock M3A77DE

VGA: Sapphire HD5770 Vapor-X

RAM: Apacer 4096 Mb Golden Cover

HDD: WD Caviar Blue 320Gb

PSU: CHIEFTEC CTG-500-80P 500W

Case: CM HAF 912 Plus

THX

Regards

Edited by rush77

Can be that maybe the Mobo is the weak point of this?

Or maybe I should start from the beginning putting everything back to default and start changing the ref clock and multipliers (I'm don't have much experience with this :blush: )?

Can be that maybe the Mobo is the weak point of this?

Or maybe I should start from the beginning putting everything back to default and start changing the ref clock and multipliers (I'm don't have much experience with this :blush: )?

I haven't had much experience with the Phenom II chips (my only computer is the i7 930 system in my sig) but many people have found this Phenom II overclocking guide to be helpful. I am not sure if you have read it before, since you did mention that you have read a tonne of overclocking guides, but it's a good starting point.

How far are you thinking of going with the overclock btw?

I tried it from 0 and I'm now suspecting about the PSU or the Mobo.

Everything goes well until I start to increase the voltage.

I tried at 3.9 with 1.425v and in prime with the inPlace large fft it went ok for more than an hour whitout problems but after that I tried the Small FFT and after just 2 mins it restarted again.

I'll try some memtests tomorrow in the afternoon but I don't think that it's the cause.

I know that my mobo is not the best but it's supposed to bear some voltage tweak... :wacko: :wacko:

No Idea so far but I'll continue testing when I have time

The overclocking features on your board are very limited and the components arent "high end". When you see overclockers getting 4-4.1ghz out of this chip you will find they are using 78x+ chipsets and a decent motherboard manufacturer, im not trying to start a row over favoured manufacturers but i am quite sure there arent many lovers of asrock, imo i dont think there is any excuse to not go for asus over asrock. Getting a new motherboard is probably your best bet, my mobo has a 8+2 phase, i know there is better overclocking boards on the market but the 8+2 phase made a massive difference on the overclock to my old mobo which was shockingly aweful, managed to get an extra 300mhz out of my chip, so try and get something wit at least an 8+2 phase and you will easily achieve your target of 4ghz maybe further. Also try checking your temps to make sure you have fitted your heatsink properly. Hope this helps.