Monitor not seeing signal

iskout

A friend came to my house to finish up his new build, and used my 1920x1080 monitor to finish installing Windows/drivers/software etc.

When he got home, he found that he couldn't get his monitor to see any signal, despite being connected via DVI. We know his card works, since he was using it here not 15 minutes ago. I know his monitor doesn't support 1920x1080, so does anyone have any tips on resetting the resolution?

He knows this monitor works, as he was using it as an external for his laptop up until now. We've tried using his integrated GPU, but got the same result.

Any ideas?

:rofl: This sucks!!!!! He need to connect a 1920x1080 monitor to his PC and lower the res down to one that his monitor supports. This is the only way to fix the prob w/o reinstalling windows completely! This is a lesson I learned the hard way, many moons ago :biggrin:

Well, he's using his integrated video for now, until he can get here to resize it. I figured as much, SpeedwayNative :lol:

he spent a few hours last night working on it. We're going to try uninstalling his graphics driver, and hopefully that will reset the resolution.

If he brings it back to your place, hook it up to your 1080p monitor again but then set the resolution to something like 800x600 before he leaves. That way it'll display on his monitor no problem.

I get this problem if I'm swapping my PS3 around different TVs, but the PS3 supports a reset video settings by holding the power button after you turn it on.

If he brings it back to your place, hook it up to your 1080p monitor again but then set the resolution to something like 800x600 before he leaves. That way it'll display on his monitor no problem.

This seems to be the easiest way to fix it.

Edited by Krazyxazn

we plan to do that, but because of our schedules it's tough. We're both full time college students and we both work nights, so it's looking like the next time we'll be able to get him here is Sunday. It's fine though, because I have to fix his sister's netbook anyway. I'm going to have him bring his monitor, too, so we can test it on the spot.

The other (easier) solution is to simply have him uninstall his video card drivers with Driver Sweeper or something similar. :cheers:

Or, if you're adventurous, you could have him install a TightVNC server so you can connect to it - then you can lower his resolution remotely. :)

I've never had this problem before....I run 2048x1152 resolution at home and I frequently bring my tower to someone else's house for gaming. I usually don't bring the monitor but my computer boots up into windows just fine with whatever monitor is at hand.

I've never had this problem before...

He could be running XP or something. I don't remember it being smart enough to revert to a lower resolution in the presence of a new screen.