XP Re-installation CD w/ New Hardware

momosmokey

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your windows xp key will validate with the new hardware. Worst case senario is you may have to call. I have done it a few dozen times myself already with no issues at all. Hell I still have an oem copy from release week that has been put 5 different pc's over the years. But yeah as said earlier I would seriously take a look at some newer amd stuff beofore upgrading a dell.

Whether you get it to re-install or not you are not going to get service packs. Microsoft has discontinued support for XP.

Sure you can get service packs. Discontinued support only means they won't be creating any new patches/fixes. You can get everything up to the date they ended support.

Whether you get it to re-install or not you are not going to get service packs. Microsoft has discontinued support for XP.

I know that, but the CD I have is Service Pack 1a. If I'm not validated (I think that's how it works) I won't be able to obtain Service Pack 3.

Your windows xp key will validate with the new hardware. Worst case senario is you may have to call. I have done it a few dozen times myself already with no issues at all. Hell I still have an oem copy from release week that has been put 5 different pc's over the years. But yeah as said earlier I would seriously take a look at some newer amd stuff beofore upgrading a dell.

Sorry about double post...

Doesn't sound too hard. :)

I looked at AMD's components and wasn't really impressed, I was looking at the AMD Phenom II X4 965. The i3-550 is fine for me now, an HD5850 won't bottleneck it in games and I'm not going to be doing anything requiring 4 cores. Also, in the future I can always upgrade to an i7 LGA1156 if I really wan't some more power.

I wouldn't actually call it upgrading the dell, since the only thing that's not new is the HDD.

The only thing I really worried about is the PSU, I'm still not sure I made the right choice. Any ideas?

OK, my parts come tomorrow, I hope it works out. I'll let you all know, thanks for your help! cheers.gif

Edited by xxmastermushxx

Did you read the rest of the topic? It is not an OEM installation disk, those can be put on multiple comps. It was an OEM RE-installation disk. They only work with the original manufacturers motherboard.

Yes I did. Notice how I said windows xp key, but I have used a dell disc as well on an Hp computer with no issues. He could also just download an oem image and go that route if needed.

So it sounds like I won't be needing to buy a new Windows 7 OEM disc. I appear to have several options, that's good. :)

I looked at AMD's components and wasn't really impressed, I was looking at the AMD Phenom II X4 965. The i3-550 is fine for me now, an HD5850 won't bottleneck it in games and I'm not going to be doing anything requiring 4 cores. Also, in the future I can always upgrade to an i7 LGA1156 if I really wan't some more power.

I wouldn't actually call it upgrading the dell, since the only thing that's not new is the HDD.

Do you mean upgrade the motherboard too?

Just you wait for March 1st-5th!teehee.gif

He can use the key but not the disk with another computer. I have used old keys off of oem comps on multiple machines but you need a full blown installation cd. If i get a moment tonight i will try what you are suggesting on my ubutnu rig, and it is my opinion that it will not work. But i will try it.

Do you mean upgrade the motherboard too?

Just you wait for March 1st-5th!teehee.gif

Why, what's then?

Ultimately what I'll probably do when I wan't to get more power, is get an i5-2500k setup, that will only cost a total of probably $300-$325 for a CPU and Mobo. I could then OC that thing to 5 Ghz. :lol: