Possible Motherboard Failure Imminent? (Help me diagnose)

Hey guys, i've been inactive for a while, but recently i've gotten back on because i've been having problems. Just a couple months ago (Read: Christmas) I got a new hard drive and reformatted to Win 7 Professional (Legit) 64-Bit. Now fast-forward about two months, and i've been getting bluescreens recently. Not only that, but while gaming or even browsing the net, my mouse and keyboard will both randomly lock up, but then return to normal. Does anybody else besides me think this could be a motherboard issue? (Brand and model is in Signature, By the way.)

I deal with a lot of ECS boards through working on Gateways in my office. In my opinion, I wouldn't buy one. Their solution for Gateway 4620D desktops are terrible with us blowing motherboards a lot. Heat is an issue on the northbridge of our particular models, and I have seen a few of them heat up to the point of popping. I don't want to say every ECS model is terrible because of this, but having to swap one a week since I started has reaffirmed my belief in ASUS and MSI haha

It doesn't mean having blue screens, keyboard and mouse locked up would result to a motherboard failure.

try first to isolate whats causing the problem by checking your memory modules and next your power supply unit.

also try using other keyboard or mouse, sometimes, input devices causes such problem.

you could also check if a software is causing your problem by running your computer in safe mode and observe if your computer hangs during operations in safe mode. also try to remember what is the last application you have installed in your computer, it might not be fully compatible with your windows build.

hope this helps.

What error do you get in the BSOD?

Possible suggestions without knowing BSOD error:

1) Bad hdd cable or needs to be reseated (unplug and plug back in)

2) Faulty drivers

=======

I some issues myself. First I was getting BSOD for my VIA SATA controller add-on card. Tried installed some drivers for it, but gave up and just removed it (don't use it and don't want to reinstall Windows to fix it). Then later on my computer kept freezing up and my spare 500GB hdd is dying on me (most likely), but I've periodically have issues with all my hard drives (so I removed that too, lazy fix since I don't use it either). I don't think they like my motherboard :P

Edited by Krazyxazn

What error do you get in the BSOD?

Possible suggestions without knowing BSOD error:

1) Bad hdd cable or needs to be reseated (unplug and plug back in)

2) Faulty drivers

=======

I some issues myself. First I was getting BSOD for my VIA SATA controller add-on card. Tried installed some drivers for it, but gave up and just removed it (don't use it and don't want to reinstall Windows to fix it). Then later on my computer kept freezing up and my spare 500GB hdd is dying on me (most likely), but I've periodically have issues with all my hard drives (so I removed that too, lazy fix since I don't use it either). I don't think they like my motherboard tongue.gif

The BSOD said something about a critical data structure or something of that sort has been modified. Another one said something about "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT". I'm starting to think it's a combo between RAM and Mobo problems. Gonna try resetting the BIOS, Not sure if i had it OC'd or not.

NE -

My best advice is to tear everything down to the bare basics, clear your BIOS and then reset to BIOS default values and reinstall Windows 7.

I'm talking about a minimal hardware build here - just enough to get your rig booted and Windows reinstalled after clearing and resetting your BIOS.

Motherboard, memory, cpu, gpu, power supply, single hard drive, ps2 mouse and keyboard, and a single optical drive if you need one.

After getting this minimal build done (easier outside the case than in) install windows, latest hardware drivers and windows updates - then thrash the sucker at BIOS default settings using OCCT, IntelBurn, Prime95, Memtest etc. and see if you get any BSOD. If you don't get a BSOD begin adding components back to the build and retesting along the way.

In my experience a BSOD doesn't normally mean there is an eminent motherboard failure. Most times the BSOD can be traced to something else.

NE -

My best advice is to tear everything down to the bare basics, clear your BIOS and then reset to BIOS default values and reinstall Windows 7.

I'm talking about a minimal hardware build here - just enough to get your rig booted and Windows reinstalled after clearing and resetting your BIOS.

Motherboard, memory, cpu, gpu, power supply, single hard drive, ps2 mouse and keyboard, and a single optical drive if you need one.

After getting this minimal build done (easier outside the case than in) install windows, latest hardware drivers and windows updates - then thrash the sucker at BIOS default settings using OCCT, IntelBurn, Prime95, Memtest etc. and see if you get any BSOD. If you don't get a BSOD begin adding components back to the build and retesting along the way.

In my experience a BSOD doesn't normally mean there is an eminent motherboard failure. Most times the BSOD can be traced to something else.

I reset the BIOS, ran a windows memory test (Don't have a flash drive to put memtest on, but i suppose they probably use most of the same code anyways), everything came out fine. I want to avoid a reformat for as long as possible, as reformatting would (apparently) violate the TOS I have between the school and microsoft. I suppose if this continues I could do a repair, but that's worst case scenario.

That may be a last and final resort. Depending on how bad the BSODs have been, you may have a corrupted MBR or OS installation that might require a repair in order to get everything straightened out once you've eliminated the instability........ Sorry to have to tell you that :(