PC Restarts Automatically After Overclocking

amang

Hi guys,

I am new to this overclocking process, so please bear with my questions. I recently played around with my PC by overclocking it with the following specs:

CPU Overclock: 4.5Ghz

BCLCK: 180Mhz

SPD Multiplier: 12

Memory Frequency: 2160Mhz

CPU Vcore: 1.5373V

QPI/Vtt: 1.375V

IOH Core: 1.300V

DRAM Voltage: 1.86V

I stress-tested this system with Intel Burn Test for half an hour and everything went well. However, when I left the computer for, say, downloading stuff with uTorrent or running a screensaver, the PC will automatically restarts itself.

Is there anyway for me to diagnose what causes this problem?

Thanks for your help in advance. :O

Hi guys,

I am new to this overclocking process, so please bear with my questions. I recently played around with my PC by overclocking it with the following specs:

CPU Overclock: 4.5Ghz

BCLCK: 180Mhz

SPD Multiplier: 12

Memory Frequency: 2160Mhz

CPU Vcore: 1.5373V

QPI/Vtt: 1.375V

IOH Core: 1.300V

DRAM Voltage: 1.86V

I stress-tested this system with Intel Burn Test for half an hour and everything went well. However, when I left the computer for, say, downloading stuff with uTorrent or running a screensaver, the PC will automatically restarts itself.

Is there anyway for me to diagnose what causes this problem?

Thanks for your help in advance. :O

For a final overclock, 30 minutes of testing isn't enough. You need to leave it for 12-24 hours. If it crashes before that time, then your overclock is simply not stable.

Also, Have you disabled C3 state, speed step and all the power managment features. I'm trying to remember all of them but they will cause system instability during idle and cause a system restart.

It pains me to say it but I somewhat agree with Ballist1x. I'm not much of a fan of intel burn test. I prefer occt and passing at least 4 hours of linpak with 50% free memory alocated.

And also are you seriously running 1.5 volts..... Just for my curiosity what kind of cooling are you using.

Thanks for the tips guys.

I just found out that it was my screensaver that crashes my Windows. I manage to tone down the overclock to 4.50GHz with 1.40volts, memory frequency 2000Mhz, BCLK 166Mhz. Currently running F@H with -smp12 at temperature around 80'C on average, and it's been running for 8 hours without any hiccup. Do you think the temp is running a bit too high when running F@H?

Quick question: is there any significant merit in overclocking your RAM?

Edited by amang

Thanks for the tips guys.

I just found out that it was my screensaver that crashes my Windows. I manage to tone down the overclock to 4.50GHz with 1.40volts, memory frequency 2000Mhz, BCLK 166Mhz. Currently running F@H with -smp12 at temperature around 80'C on average, and it's been running for 8 hours without any hiccup. Do you think the temp is running a bit too high when running F@H?

Quick question: is there any significant merit in overclocking your RAM?

What's your CPU?

You're definitely overdoing it for a first attempt.

We need some information...

1) What CPU are you using?

2) What Cooler are you using?

3) Have you tried dropping the clock to like a 4.0 at a much lower voltage? This will help with stability and heat.

1) It's an i7 980x

2) It's a water cooling kit that comes together with my case, Xaser VI. You can have a look here http://bit.ly/eV5MOY

3) I tried that before, but would love to see how far this machine can push.

So what's the ideal temp for a processor? I am looking for crunching numbers (like F@H) on a regular basis.

Plus, have you got any recommendation of what temp monitoring software I should use? I have got CPUID Hardware Monitor and RealTemp, but both give me a slightly different view of my CPU temps.

Edited by amang

Well a LOT of people debate temps and what is safe, here is Intel's take on it:

Specs, and on the right hand side you can download the Data Sheet to give you loads of info.

As per Intel (who of-course is playing it safe so the chip lasts past warranty) states 67.9c Tcase (72-73c core) as the max recommended and 1.375v max vcore.

All of these specs are of-course subjective to the user and what risk you feel comfortable with.

As for the temps CoreTemp and Realtemp seem to be pretty good.

3) Have you tried dropping the clock to like a 4.0 at a much lower voltage? This will help with stability and heat.

Thanks for the tips. I managed to tone down my overclock to 4Ghz at 1.3v. Average temp running F@H is between 63-69'C.

Will this perhaps help?

400927181728291065.jpg

456789101645697301.jpg

My further questions are:

1) Will higher CPU overclock result in a better CPU folding?

2) Is there any significant merit in overclocking your RAM?