SSD RAID 0

Waco

I have an SSD as my main OS drive

on a daily basis, I have not seen any magical unicorns pop out of my screen yet

the SSD raid debate is getting silly, raid can be a good idea but it is not for everyone

by running raid you cannot run TRIM, and this, without a doubt, will degrade the life expectancy of the SSD

I think onboard PCIE raid is the future, though

one fact that cannot be overlooked is that doubling your drive speeds does not mean the slowest part of your computer has vanished.

the reality is, that the slowest part of your computer has just changed.

So at the end of the day benchmarks dont mean much unless what you are doing can benefit from accessing large amounts of data from multiple sources at once.

so let's not engage in deceptive practices by telling kids their MW2 will run faster if they run a raid setup

any kid that notices the difference between a 2 second launch and a 3 second launch needs medication

I am sure Waco's computer probably boots a little faster than ones using a standard SSD like us. Of course, the absolute real time from pressing the start button to going on the internet also depends on things like motherboard, etc.

so let's not engage in deceptive practices by telling kids their MW2 will run faster if they run a raid setup

Nobody said that...though it is true.

Edited by Waco

WOW,this has been a fun read. DING,DING the bell for round two. :P Just a question is giving up trim worth going raid? I have had this mental battle for a while . I dont to give it up.

Edited by dling

Just a question is giving up trim worth going raid?

With the garbage collection in newer firmware revisions I'm not horribly worried about it. I'll post up if I notice any degradation but I doubt I will. :cheers:

it is not true.

I think you are confusing your SSD with the word RAM

a program may launch faster, or load faster, but it will not run faster

an application does not need to constantly access your hard drive

some games may benefit from faster loading textures, like WoW, but your FPS is in no way increasing, just the background visuals

With the garbage collection in newer firmware revisions I'm not horribly worried about it. I'll post up if I notice any degradation but I doubt I will. :cheers:

Thanks. I was kinda looking at the revodrive since the price has really come down.Just worried about lack of trim.

it is not true.

I think you are confusing your SSD with the word RAM

I think you are using terms confusingly and being overly pedantic.

The program will, as a whole, run faster. Level load times will decrease, it will start up faster, and yes, when it accesses the hard drive, it will stutter less (and thus, increasing FPS). Nothing is more frustrating than playing a game that accesses the hard drive occasionally and having it murder your FPS every time it does.

Edited by Waco

• 3 weeks later...

I think you are using terms confusingly and being overly pedantic.

The program will, as a whole, run faster. Level load times will decrease, it will start up faster, and yes, when it accesses the hard drive, it will stutter less (and thus, increasing FPS). Nothing is more frustrating than playing a game that accesses the hard drive occasionally and having it murder your FPS every time it does.

this is true.I play aion tested a 7200 rpm drive versus my raid 0 setup and my graphic lag spikes stopped completely. The faster the data can transfer the faster it can be processed.