I'm folding again! Though I am having a little trouble.

GabrielT

So I have been meaning to start folding again and I finally did. I am not doing many PPD as I am not running an SMP client and I shut off my computer at night because even though it is fairly quiet the sound keeps me up.

I am folding with my 5770, I am hoping to pick up a GTX 470 or 570 for folding and gaming sometime this summer hopefully.

I wont sugar coat it, I am a SMP noob. I have looked over many guides and tried to follow them but I get lost or name a file wrong or just noob it up and I can't get more than one core to go on the same client. I would greatly appreciate any help given. I currently have 3 regular F@H things up and am folding on my 5770. If I bring 4 up I usually have problems getting work from the servers. 3 seem to be the perfect amount for me but I would love to fold on all cores and actually get some deadline bonuses.

Download the smp client here get a passkey here create a folder for for the client. mine is in program files x 86 on win 7 64 bit. Extrat the files to the folder, right click on the .exe file and create a short cut to the desktop. Add -smp after the target line in the shortcut, my example has -bigadv in because I am running bigadv but you need 8 cores to do that so its not necessary for your quad. Double click the shortcut and fill out you info username, team number, passkey, etc. To close the client use ctrl+C. If you mess up configuring just close it, add -configonly after the target line in the shortcut, this will let you configure it only. After configuring remove the -configonly flag to run it...

2011-01-15_085155.jpg

Download the smp client here get a passkey here create a folder for for the client. mine is in program files x 86 on win 7 64 bit. Extrat the files to the folder, right click on the .exe file and create a short cut to the desktop. Add -smp after the target line in the shortcut, my example has -bigadv in because I am running bigadv but you need 8 cores to do that so its not necessary for your quad. Double click the shortcut and fill out you info username, team number, passkey, etc. To close the client use ctrl+C. If you mess up configuring just close it, add -configonly after the target line in the shortcut, this will let you configure it only. After configuring remove the -configonly flag to run it...

Thank you sooo much, all of what I had read about it made it way to complicated. Took me about 2 minutes to figure it out after you helped. I currently have all 4 cores folding at 3.6Ghz because of heat limitation because my room is very warm this time of year.

Thank you sooo much, all of what I had read about it made it way to complicated. Took me about 2 minutes to figure it out after you helped. I currently have all 4 cores folding at 3.6Ghz because of heat limitation because my room is very warm this time of year.

Yea I dont know why some things have to be wrote 10 pages long and so complicated, you need an engineering degree for some of that stuff. I guess big time people have big time words and got to make things look way more sophisticated than they really are...

Yea I dont know why some things have to be wrote 10 pages long and so complicated, you need an engineering degree for some of that stuff. I guess big time people have big time words and got to make things look way more sophisticated than they really are...

I hate that. I heard a great quote a while go;

If you cant explain something well enough for a 5 year old to understand it, then you shouldn't be explaining it to anyone.

Now for some subjects a 5 year old couldn't understand no matter the explanation but its the idea that counts.

I read through it and I am not exaggerating when I say they had over 15 steps with lots and lots of strange programming lingo I had never heard.

warm?? try australia during summer... atm its a nice cool 29 degs in my room.... should get to low 30s in my room.. 30 outside.. thats a nice day hahah the other day it was 42 :(

Well it is plenty cold outside here -21c. That is negative 21c, not a typo. However, I am staying at my relatives place in the basement and they have heated floors. With no way to turn down the heat in a room by closing a vent I am sol when it comes to cooling down my room. I have opened the windows a couple of times to let in the cold when it gets too warm for me but I am pretty sure they would get pissed off if I left it open all the time.

2011-01-15_085155.jpg

This right here is the greatest guide in the history of folding. I thought I had to run a million instances of VMWare in order to fold on all of my cores. I have been trying to get the SMP client to work for a while but never could.

Now that I'm living in an apartment with free electricity I'll be folding on my i7 875k anytime I'm not playing a game or sleeping. :cheers:

This right here is the greatest guide in the history of folding. I thought I had to run a million instances of VMWare in order to fold on all of my cores. I have been trying to get the SMP client to work for a while but never could.

Now that I'm living in an apartment with free electricity I'll be folding on my i7 875k anytime I'm not playing a game or sleeping. :cheers:

Some folks used to run linux in vmware before there was a windows smp client and also to get more points because linux did a little better, however now that they have the bonuses and the windows client working pretty well its just to much trouble to do. I run native linux on all my machines except my main rig and points are about the same as windows, of course now the linux bigadv client is screwed up so we have to run the windows client in WINE...