Odd onboard Lan issue

ir_cow

Short: my onboard lan doesn't work anymore and i can't figure out why since it still blinks away

so i booted up my main computer yesterday afternoon to browse the web before heading out and it worked. when i turned it on again later that night it seemed fine but nvidia said it detected a new setup for SLi and also my internet has an X on it. as it turns out it "Not Connected". after messing with it for a while, windows says the drivers arent installed and the drivers reinstalled says it cant find the Realtek network controller. The Bios has it enabled and i reset the bios also just in case. this is how i am stuck. the cable is good, my internet is good, my router is good and the lan port blinks when the computer is off but not when its on.

i'm completely stuck! other than ordering a PCie card i have no clue what to do. BTW im on my laptop now so the internet does work.

Edited by hornybluecow

the port can just up and die...

mine on my Asus P5E-VM would error on downloading from my server and the files would corrupt....one way was fine but the other wasnt...surfing the web was fine until one day the rig froze after a reboot the port was dead...

it did the exact same thing you say...lights work but nadda

You could try booting up a Windows 7 disc into the recovery environment - I believe the LAN is enabled there... At least that'll tell you if it's something screwy in your install, or if it's really an issue with the hardware...

Or, you could find some free Linux-based Live CD and test your network that way... As you've already ordered a card, it might not matter...

nvidia said it detected a new setup for SLi and also my internet has an X on it.

So, did you recently add SLI?

My guess is it could be an IRQ or similar resource conflict... try removing one graphics card, establishing networking, then reinstall 2nd graphics card...

My main rig is full of cards (2x graphics, sound, RAID, server NIC) and it can sometimes be a pain for everything to actually operate simultaneously :lol:

sli been installed for a while and i can't really remove it since its connected to some water :). my NIC card should come soon than i'll see whats going on. i think the port gone bad which isn't the first time onboard has done this to me but it was just weird it worked hours before.

edit: on second thought i was using a slax Linux cd right before i noticed it was out but i never booted into anything. plus my HDD was unplugged.

Edited by hornybluecow

got my card today and installed. internet works again. the one thing i didn't think of is sometimes pcie slots are disabled for sli, but in this case only the middle 1x was and lucky for me because i didn't check beforehand. i was sitting with the card in my card saying $&*# to myself lol.

Edited by hornybluecow

i had the same problem with my pc awhile back. both the wireless which was integrated wouldnt work, and the ethernet plug didnt work, so i tried to get a wireless card, and that didnt work either. so i ended up getting a PCI ethernet card. (my mobo only has one PCIe and i have a graphocs card there)