Water Cooled HTPC

firky

I absolutely loved the antikink coil on the inch or so of tube connecting the rad to the center beam. :biggrin: It is indeed some impressive work you are doing here. Can't wait to see the finished product. :thumbsup:

Edited by PruritusAni
  • Like 1

I would like some advice from you guys.

As you can see from my drawing above the stand will hold a 480mm radiator in a vertical position. But which way should I mount the Rad.

7d30f167-1.jpg

With the fitting at the Bottom? shown on the Left

Pro's:

Less tube needed.

Easy path to pumps.

Less fittings required.

Easy to drain.

Will work as header tank for pump.

Better to look at no fittings sticking out of the top.

Con's:

Air may build up and be stuck in the top of the Rad.

Hard to fill water would have to be pumped in unless lay down.

Or with the fittings at the Top shown on the right.

Pro's:

Easy to fill.

Easy to remove air lock if any.

Con's:

More tube needed.

would look ugly with tubes passing up each side of the stand.

More fittings required.

What do you guys think?

After some more Googleing I found Rad's with reservoir at the top and a select few with a bleed screw at the top. I ended up ordering a "phobya G-Changer V1.2 480mm Quad Radiator"

I absolutely loved the antikink coil on the inch or so of tube connecting the rad to the center beam. :biggrin: It is indeed some impressive work you are doing here. Can't wait to see the finished product. :thumbsup:

I felt it was defiantly needed lol :) Thanks for the kind words.

One of my orders from RS arrived this week so I started work on the lead the will connect my cooling tower to my HTPC.

d50a722f-1.jpg dd884f88-1.jpg

Unfortunately one of the chassis mounted connectors is on backorder and due at the end of January.

cec1236e-1.jpg a25feb3c-1.jpg

So I set to work disassembled the plug (a lot of parts for a small plug). Next I started soldering.

b1d9255b-1.jpg d3e04b74-1.jpg

Each wire is individually numbered from 1-7. I helping hand was defiantly need for this job luckily I had my trusty crocodile clips to hand.

00564e17-1.jpg 3a5a658e-1.jpg

Next hellerman sleeving was added this really did tidy up the job.

d52cb89e-1.jpg da6e8383-1.jpg

Next the cable braid was added and the back shell fitted and tightened.

0f6c8b3a-1.jpg 8d2b7f02-1.jpg

This time I made sure to slide the back shell on first. The whole process was then started again for the female end. I made sure to solder the wires to the correct pins.

e45aee90-1.jpg e50571a7-1.jpg

Hellerman sleeving added and then the braid was pulled up and the back shell was tightened.

e1db58b3-1.jpg 951a3f93-1.jpg

The finished lead measures up at 2m. 7 single insulated multi strand cables were used each with a CSA of 0.2mm

Thanks elsbar.

Some more parts came today. I ordered a 40mm fan I plan to use this to cool my fan controller which will be incorporated in my cooling tower.

b2278704.jpg 65c7eb81.jpg

The fan is well made and very quiet its hardly audible. The fan was packed with some self tapping screws.

c2d1ab0c.jpg 38b8a723.jpg

But for what I need the fan for the self tapping screws are no good and to short. So I got my self some M4 taps and set to work only taping two or three turns at a time the plastic is very brittle and it did not want to crack or span the fan housing.

e45cf551.jpg 1df54e82.jpg

This process was repeated on each conner. Now 4x4m screw now thread in to the fan housing there is no need for any nuts when mounting this fan.

273bb544.jpg 72199ed3.jpg

I got my self this A C Ryan connecter set it was really cheap less than a £1 I ordered it purely for the tools they should make removing pins very easy.

ed423e30.jpg 4713440f.jpg

Well I have been using Arctic cooling silver 5. But for this build I though I would try some new MX-2. My Ek Compression fittings have arrived they will be using on my GPU blocks.

24039f58.jpg 328d4155.jpg

Here is how I will use the EK fittings on the GPU blocks I was going to stager the fittings by using a bitspower extender as I thought it would make it easier to tighter the fittings.

93a60c58.jpg c08e216e.jpg

The Rest of my EK fittings have arrived as well as the temp senors I plan to use with the T-Balancer.

8907ed97.jpg ec3bee0b.jpg

120mm fans very quiet good quality build. I will be using 8 of these is push pull on my 480mm rad.

64247d28.jpg 9887f9eb.jpg

Add the icing on the cake the one any only T-Balancer BigNg Fan controller.

2d036663.jpg 1b61fbaf.jpg

My Rad arrived today. It really is huge it should easily keep my i7 and GPU's under control.

b15d1ab5.jpg edfacedb.jpg

I couldn't wait to get the fans on it. Then I gave it a quick blast on the fan controller. Very quiet even at full speed.

1535065a.jpg 5d6e714e.jpg

Then I added then other 4 fans. 110mm thick :O looks awesome tho!

I took the Time to draw up a full 3D model of my design and I'm glad I did because I picked up on a few errors. But here we go my almost final design.

725fda17.jpg fed24c26.jpg

Back Right view and Right view.

e4c31d90.jpg 062829d1.jpg

Front Right view and Front Left view.

a42fcd00.jpg f06e5c5f.jpg

Bottom view.

7c2dc806.jpg 88123703.jpg

This is my design for a back plate on my case it will support the bits-power bulk head fittings that are attached to the male QDC. As well as holding the socket for the power lead supplying the cooling tower.

f35c5277.jpg c9c7d868.jpg

c6059b4f.jpg 7f435362.jpg

As there is minimal room behind my case the tubing would just kink when he case was pushed back on to the shelf how ever I ordered my self some 90deg QDC fittings from Koolance they work a treat. :)