Noob Water Cooling

Nyt

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just one thing , how would I fill the loop when I first get it ? Im assuming I would have to somehow fill the loop before switching on the pc ?

You always need to run the pump with water. If you run it without water going through it, you can burn it out. Basically, the reservoir's output will always go through the pump first, so when you fill the loop, you're filling in through the reservoir, which will fill up the pump. Turn the pump on, water passes through it to the other components, then turn it off, fill up the reservoir, repeat.

You always need to run the pump with water. If you run it without water going through it, you can burn it out. Basically, the reservoir's output will always go through the pump first, so when you fill the loop, you're filling in through the reservoir, which will fill up the pump. Turn the pump on, water passes through it to the other components, then turn it off, fill up the reservoir, repeat.

So the pump will switch on when I start the pc and will fill the loop ?

So the pump will switch on when I start the pc and will fill the loop ?

No. You need to run it without your computer on first. Either attach the pump power to another computer that's on to it's PSU, or disconnect everything that's connected to your PSU, wire the pump power connection to one of your PSU cables, then turn the PSU on.

Always, always, always test run your loop first before turning your computer on. If it leaks, you don't blow up your computer. If it leaks, wipe everything up, put a fan on it, and wait a day before plugging everything in and turning it on or you'll blow something.

For safety sake, I'd say make sure that the PC is always running when the temp drops below freezing. If that just won't work, maybe you should be considering a good air cooling solution instead.

To my knowledge Primochill PC Ice is the only water cooling fluid that claims it won't freeze down to -30F

For safety sake, I'd say make sure that the PC is always running when the temp drops below freezing. If that just won't work, maybe you should be considering a good air cooling solution instead.

To my knowledge Primochill PC Ice is the only water cooling fluid that claims it won't freeze down to -30F

And I recommended Primochill PC Ice already. ;)

What do you guys think of this Thermochill EC6 coolant ?

Is this good ?

And what about this Red UV Dye ?

I think it should be fine in winter. The worst that can happen is the water freezing and me not being able to turn the pc on , is that right or does it damage something ?

Which coolant should I get , I cant find the Primochill PC in Sidewinders.

Should I just use car radiator coolant or is that bad ?

Edited by Nyt Ryda

Water freezing could be a bad thing if the expansion doesn't have anywhere to go. When water freezes it expands, and for the same reasons you don't want water freezing up in the sealed loop of an automotive cooling system, you wouldn't want it freezing up in your PC loop. And autos even have a freeze plug that is supposed to pop out if the coolant freezes and begins to expand. This is supposed to help prevent a cracked block, water pump or intake manifold. With all of that being said, I would take every precaution to keep your loop from ever freezing up.

No. You need to run it without your computer on first. Either attach the pump power to another computer that's on to it's PSU, or disconnect everything that's connected to your PSU, wire the pump power connection to one of your PSU cables, then turn the PSU on.

Always, always, always test run your loop first before turning your computer on. If it leaks, you don't blow up your computer. If it leaks, wipe everything up, put a fan on it, and wait a day before plugging everything in and turning it on or you'll blow something.

You can just jump the power supply with a paper clip. works better than plugging it onto some other computer. If youhave no clue how to jump a power supply just search youtube.