PCI-E SSD

aaportnell

Aside from the headache of them not booting properly in all boards (or running at all for that matter) they aren't too different from their SATA siblings. They are usually enormously faster for streaming reads and writes, depending on the model you're looking at of course.

Some are bootable, most are not. You'd want your SSD to be bootable unless you have a good reason not to.

Pros:

Fast

Cons:

Still not really faster for small file transfers than your typical Intel X25-M

Expensive

Takes up a PCI Express slot

Depends on how you use it. Some are amazing at sequential read/writes (Z-Drive) and some are more in line with other SSD's although still generally faster but a bit more costly (RevoDrive). As for boot problems, I've never experienced any trouble personally.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ajmatson

In the RevoDrive review I wrote it did perform quite well and had no issues so far in any board I have placed it in. The speeds were fast and consistent which was nice and it ran both Windows and Linux perfectly. Now the RAID I compared it too was on board soft-raid which the RevoDrive was better. When compared to my SSD RAID using a HighPoint RR2310 x4 card the speeds are matched and no clear winner (yes this RAID card is fake RAID). This may be because of the PCI-e x4 BUS the limitation of using two drives, but the RevoDrive 2 is aiming at over 700MB/s speeds using four on board SSD's in RAID-0 and will blow the ones I have away.

So to answer your question, yes there is an advantage especially in price when you factor in buying a card to run separate physical drives :)

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.lsi.com/news/product_news/2010/2010_11_16a.html

Not all are meant to be bootible but are intended for high performance applications and servers as well high performance workstations. As for this one and the OCZ monster they are worth their weight in gold, that is gold that is sitting just under $1,400 an troy ounce. They can save two or three times their cost in power and cooling over their life time for data centers and other high up time systems let alone they need much less maintenance than 400+ mechanical drives in raid just to match performance. You can still land one of these and put your swap file and apps on it while using another drive for booting.

"A WarpDrive card can sustain up to 1,400MB/s of throughput, with reliable and consistent performance across both sequential and random reads and writes. It delivers up to 240,000 4K read IOPS and up to 200,000 4K write IOPS, with access latency of less than 50 microseconds. To achieve equal performance on a write IOPS basis utilizing hard disk drives would require over 400 drives, 36U of rack space and consume more than 300 times the power."

Edited by nforce4max