Phenom II 550 BE is bottleneck for GPU?

lol I kinda figured this stuff out yesterday when I compared the temps with those in Everest. You'll notice in my screen shot that I've renamed the TMPIN0,1,2 to whatever they co-respond, but thanks anyway.

I just want to ask, are those Core Temps that show 0C (32F) correct? I can't remember if mine showed anything, but if it did, and the temps in fahrenheit are correct, then if I unlock the cores, I might have a way to monitor the temps.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll get a quad core. It's really stupid. Plus, I don't know if this is a common problem with Windows 7 users that own a 550 BE and want to unlock it, or if it's only me.

Quad cores aren't dumb but you wouldn't see a huge gaming increase from what you have, but if you can get a tri core at a decent frequency for free why not.

Yeah when my cousin's 620 gets ACC turned on (if you're wondering why it's on, I was trying to unlock the L3 Cache if the chip had it) the idle temps are 15C and when it heats up the temp drops on the cores slowly until it hits 0C :lol:

but TMPIN0 is the CPU

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tri core does something to my sound card and it corrupts the sound. I wanted a quad cuz I remember that when I had that, there were no problems. I guess I'll just try to get this dual core to be stable at 4.0Ghz then. sigh... The quad is nice because I can change the value of the CPU by a whole lot since the price of a dual core cpu isn't the same as the price of a quad core, and I was able to do that for free. Easy come easy go I guess.

EDIT: Well, it seems that even though I can log into Windows with 4.0Ghz. Stability is impossible so basically I've got no 4.0Ghz and no Quad core. What this means is that Windows 7 is really bad for overclocking... at least for me. I guess right now Windows 7 and XP have an equal amount of ups and downs so I guess I just have to wait it out.

Edited by ballist1x

Idk what to tell ya :-/

I mean I picked up the x4 620 for my cousin for $60 and paired it with a $55 motherboard and I've been on it for a week or so and this is a sweet machine (only got it clocked to 3.4ghz) but I just tried crysis and with her 460 OC'd it ran pretty nice at 1920x1200 16QAA

You could go on an all out hunt for a cheap 940 or 945 if you'd like, this 620 is really a great CPU for the money I spent on it for her though. This machine seems just as peppy as mine, I'll be using it until my motherboard comes back

Nah, I'll keep the 550 and just have it at 3.9Ghz. I don't want to spend more money just for an overclock. I'll be keeping this CPU until it's as old as my AMD AthlonXP 1800+ is today... well maybe not that much but I think it's a nice overclocker in any case so it should last for quite a while.

I might amuse myself by doing some minor overclocks here and there like tightening the ram timings a little n stuff like that, but for the most part this is it's limit.

3.9Ghz ain't bad for such a cheap set up so even though I didn't get a quad, I think I still got more than my moneys worth.

Edited by ballist1x

Nah, I'll keep the 550 and just have it at 3.9Ghz. I don't want to spend more money just for an overclock. I'll be keeping this CPU until it's as old as my AMD AthlonXP 1800+ is today... well maybe not that much but I think it's a nice overclocker in any case so it should last for quite a while.

I might amuse myself by doing some minor overclocks here and there like tightening the ram timings a little n stuff like that, but for the most part this is it's limit.

3.9Ghz ain't bad for such a cheap set up so even though I didn't get a quad, I think I still got more than my moneys worth.

As long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters :)

It just seemed as if you weren't, and yeah just tune up the timings to the max. I've been able to do all my cousin's just because I've had it for so long

For my RAM, should I use the 1:4 ratio aka 1600Mhz, or should I leave it at 3:10 aka 1333Mhz, and bump the FSB followed by setting the other multipliers accordingly?

have you ever tried overclocking via bclock?

bclock is just an AMD rename of FSB :P

oh well in that case, I kind of said it in the first post regarding the RAM overclock. I was wondering if it was better to use that, or to use the ratio thingy. I'm guessing that it doesn't make a difference except that with the FSB I'll have to do a whole bunch of other stuff, where as if I use the ratio, all I do is set it to 1600mhz.

EDIT: Is it true that increasing SB voltage will give the ram some more stability when tightening the timings?

Edited by ballist1x