Phenom II 550 BE is bottleneck for GPU?

I was just wondering if my 550 BE is a bottleneck to my GPU, being a dual core @ 3.9ghz. Wouldn't it be more efficient to change it to a quad core @ 3.4 - 3.6Ghz or something?

Also, I remember that when I unlock it to a quad, I can't read the temps any more, though that shouldn't be an actual problem since the cooling in my case is good. It's just that I like to know how my CPU is doing and keep an eye on it from time to time.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just wondering if my 550 BE is a bottleneck to my GPU, being a dual core @ 3.9ghz. Wouldn't it be more efficient to change it to a quad core @ 3.4 - 3.6Ghz or something?

Also, I remember that when I unlock it to a quad, I can't read the temps any more, though that shouldn't be an actual problem since the cooling in my case is good. It's just that I like to know how my CPU is doing and keep an eye on it from time to time.

even with HWMonitor there's no temp values??

I noticed that when I turn ACC on my cousion's x4 620 my core temps are 0 but I can still read the CPU's IHS temp

even with HWMonitor there's no temp values??

I noticed that when I turn ACC on my cousion's x4 620 my core temps are 0 but I can still read the CPU's IHS temp

I'm not sure, I remember that I had trouble figuring out which value was what in reality since they don't have real names.

Anyway, I tried to unlock the sucker and run 3DMark to see what kind of result difference I get, but I it seems that my CPU doesn't feel like unlocking anymore. I used to be able to unlock when I was with WinXP, but now I can't get it to work. It goes past the Windows 7 logo and the black screen with only the Mouse Cursor on the screen which I am able to move normally. Debug LED isn't showing any problems, Num Lock is responsive, so I don't know what the hell is going on. Only hardware difference from back then, and now is that I have a new GPU - 5870, and I added a second HDD a while ago. Nothing else has changed.

After some more messing around, I got this:

2007-12-31_233945.jpg

There's somthin' happenin' here. What it is ain't exactly clear.

Hint: Has to do with e processor name, and the cores.

That happens when you revert back to 2 cores from unlocking and you don't reset CMOS.

That happens when you revert back to 2 cores from unlocking and you don't reset CMOS.

yea, seems so but I wasn't reverting... this was an attempt to unlock. After that I tried reverting and my stuff became corrupt so I had to reset CMOS.

I'm going to bed now and I'll see what I can do tomorrow, though I doubt I'll be able to unlock since it didn't work alrdy.

Any ideas in the mean time would be nice.

yea, seems so but I wasn't reverting... this was an attempt to unlock. After that I tried reverting and my stuff became corrupt so I had to reset CMOS.

I'm going to bed now and I'll see what I can do tomorrow, though I doubt I'll be able to unlock since it didn't work alrdy.

Any ideas in the mean time would be nice.

You'll see the Processor name and Specification changed after you unlock cores, but they won't go back to the way they were until CMOS is reset. So when you revert back to 2 cores (if CMOS isn't reset), you'll still see the Processor name and Specifications the same with your original cores.