Watercooling & Overclocking noob seeks advice

Hero

just a thought, but have you given any consideration to a kit? i know swiftech and alpha cool have some really good starter kits (with high end components) at a reasonable price. good pumps, radiators, CPU blocks. it would probably be a lot cheaper than going piece-meal and your guaranteed to have everything you need (down to the fluid and/or corrosion treatment). and if you wanted to change a component, you would only have to buy that one item - if any at all. i pieced mine together and it ended up costing quite a bit (note: full coverage GPU blocks with all the acoutrements can add up pretty quick). just food for thought.

That would be called a Corsair H70

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here is a parts list of the two kits i mentioned. in the review i got this from, the alpha cool was 2 degrees cooler at idle and tied for 1st (with the swiftech) under load with an XPSC kit coming in 1 degree behind these 2. the reviewer mentioned that the alpha cool was noticably quieter - especially the fans and rated it as the overall winner.

**Alphacool Xtreme Pro 240**

- CPU Alphacool NexXxoS XP cooler

- NexXxoS Xtreme II 240mm radiator (very similar in appearance to Black Ice GT series - possibly rebranded??)

- Laing DDC Pump, incl. Water tank (can also be mounted in 3,5" slot) (rebranded Laing Delphi)

- 2x Alphacool Fan 120x120x25 (low-noise - very quiet, yet very effective with this particular radiator)

- 4 Meter hose PUR 10/8mm transparent,

- Watter additive Tec-Protect-Plus 0,5litre

- Bridging plug for the ATX power supply

- 8x connections Plugin with G1/4"-external thread on 10mm (external diameter) hoses,

- Adhesive tape 13cm long and 10cm wide for pump mounting

- Thermal paste

- Manual

**Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultra**

- Apogee XT CPU cooler

- Swiftech MCR220 Dual 120mm Radiator.

- Swiftech MCP655 12v Pump + mounting hardware & hose clamps (rebranded Laing D6)

- 2x 120mm Fans + Fan Guards.

- MCB120 Radbox + mounting hardware for mounting radiator externally (very nice addition for mounting the rad external to the case)

- 2x 12v to 7v fan adapters for reducing fan speed/noise.

- 2x 12v to 5v fan adapters for reducing fan speed/noise.

- Swiftech MCRES-Micro + mounting hardware & hose clamps.

- 8ft 7/16" flexible PVC tubing.

- 2oz bottle of HydrX concentrated coolant.

- Syringe of Arctic Ceramique compound.

- Swiftech Smartcoils 625 to reduce hose kinking.

- Manual.

That would be called a Corsair H70

well, i was going for something a little better - thought some hard core WC'ers might disagree and lump diy kits with no-maintenance packages, i think the kits i listed are considerably better.....and appropriately higher priced (proportionately? that would be a judgement call)

*****MODERATOR NOTE***** please when you Quote another poster DO NOT add your comments inside the quote to antagonize the poster you are quoting. To do so is improper forum etiquette and will net you an IMMEDIATE Ban if done again. I have found several of your post that you have done so...please STOP this is your LAST warning...

well, i was going for something a little better - thought some hard core WC'ers might disagree and lump diy kits with no-maintenance packages, i think the kits i listed are considerably better.....and appropriately higher priced (proportionately? that would be a judgement call)

I listed it as an alternative it is a decent solution for a begginer of couse.. If he is looking for something better, he is far more better building a custom loop. It will not cost much more than those you listed. If you read his first reply, money was an issue.

BTW not biting on your antagonizing crazy..... Just a matter of time!

Edited by Drdeath

Watercooling your northbridge is worthless. Just do the CPU and GPU.

:mellow: When Voltage and Frequency are increased so is heat..... Heat Bad Mojo as we all know. There for if the NB is too hot. Cool it Via active air cooling, passive large heatsink, or you can go even better and do water cooling. I can understand it being excessive.. But "worthless".... No.

Hey hero,

If you want to you can still use the Fish tank pump or SWAMP PUMP... whatever the case my be they are the same. But one thing you can do if your a decent brazer is Take a Large heater core or Two and use that outside of the case. I.E. Drill some holes near the end of the case where it opens and VOLA, the water lines go where ever you want them too. I know CJloki has a nice Fish tank set-up here with that in mind. Look around the net some more and you will find alot of different set-ups that may suit you.

Here is my current H2O Set-up. its with a cell so its pew pew but you will get the idea. :D

mellow.gif When Voltage and Frequency are increased so is heat..... Heat Bad Mojo as we all know. There for if the NB is too hot. Cool it Via active air cooling, passive large heatsink, or you can go even better and do water cooling. I can understand it being excessive.. But "worthless".... No.

Hey hero,

If you want to you can still use the Fish tank pump or SWAMP PUMP... whatever the case my be they are the same. But one thing you can do if your a decent brazer is Take a Large heater core or Two and use that outside of the case. I.E. Drill some holes near the end of the case where it opens and VOLA, the water lines go where ever you want them too. I know CJloki has a nice Fish tank set-up here with that in mind. Look around the net some more and you will find alot of different set-ups that may suit you.

Here is my current H2O Set-up. its with a cell so its pew pew but you will get the idea. biggrin.gif

He will not get and higher stable NB frequencies with that chip watercooling it. Easiest to reseat and re apply tim to the NB. I have overclocked Phenoms since the conception and on his chip it would be a waste of time.

Hi guys. Thanks for the input. Bshmidht71, I had considered getting a kit but I was under the impression that they are not as effective as a (properly done, quality) custom system. It certainly would make my life easier. I'll look into that, thanks.

Your rig's looking pretty sweet boinker. Nice cable management too, very tidy (save for the betraying connector poking out the bottom corner)

I'm gonna go with your idea Drdeath and leave the NB for now. I reckon CPU alone to start, add GPU, then maybe NB.

I've got my eyes peeled for a heater core and a frienmd who workls with cars says he'll see what he can do. Gonna keep the pond pump and heater core on my older hardware though and slowly collect quality parts for my main rig. I'll try and take some photos and post them up when its all up and going