Suggestion for GPU and CPU W/C?

ir_cow

i finally jumping on the Watercooling boat for my home rig mainly because i have some money to spare ($300-400) and my Video card heatsink/fan is going bad. i'm hoping for some suggestion on running a CPU/GPU setup is or its better just to go with GPU only.

The GTX 285 is a non reference design so i cant just replace it with another stock cooler or a full waterblock. but i have a few options

1: 1x 285 Single 120 Rad

2: 2x 285 only Dual Rad

3: 2x 285 + CPU using only dual 120 Rad

4: 2x 285 + CPU dual 120 and single in the same loop

5: 2x 285 + CPU separate Rads/ loops

6: 1x 285 + CPU using only dual 120 Rad

i would like to keep it simple so i know the GTX 285 has like TDP of 185w and i7 920 is like 130w so could a single Dual 120 handle that? at this point i'm got myself thinking to much, any input would be great but without cooling the 285 is a just about a useless card.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Definitely do a single loop for simplicity's sake. An i7 920 @ 4 GHz is closer to 250 watts full load though - so you're looking at a minimum of a triple 120 mm rad or equivalent for the i7 and a single 285.

Is the second 285 factored into your budget? I can't see you building a quality loop for $400 with a 285 as part of the budget though with $400 for JUST the loop you can build something pretty decent.

What pumps are you looking at? What rads? I have a Swiftech MCR320 on the way - it's CHEAP and with it's low fins per inch count it works extremely well with low-pressure fans (and high pressure fans running at slow speeds for quiet running). Any of the Swiftech radiators will be your best bang for the buck with slow and medium speed fans.

What CPU / GPU blocks are you looking at? I assume you aren't going to get a full block for your GPU since it's not a reference design - do you have enough airflow over the cards to cool the VRMs/RAM with heatsinks?

The order of your loop doesn't matter in the slightest though; with enough flow you won't see more than a 1 or 2 degree delta in water temps throughout the loop. Go with the easiest routing.

Edited by Waco

i feel dual 120 rads (one inside, one out with radbox) should do the trick, anyone have a good pump to suggest? i also just bought the second 285 from ccokeman so its not part of the "$400". i'll admit i went alittle crazy with the loops but i couldn't decide.

for CPU i have the D-tek Fuzion v2 laying around

GPU: 2x Swiftech MCW80

Rads: 2x Swiftech MCR220

Pump: Swiftech MCP655 or Danger Den DD-CPX

Reservoir: any 5.25 Bay Reservoir with 1/2 support

what i also was thinknig was to move the 200mm fan from the top and put it the side to cool the Ram/Chipset/VGA. also the fan in the front will still be in.

Edited by hornybluecow

single loop really is so much easier... it's still a whole hell of a lot of tubing, but it's not quite the octopus nightmare of two loops :lol:

the MCP 655B (D5 Vario) is a workhorse... I use two in my loop simply because I used to run two loops so I had two... a lot of people run one in a CPU/2xGPU/2xRad setup and find it is fine

i feel dual 120 rads (one inside, one out with radbox) should do the trick, anyone have a good pump to suggest? i also just bought the second 285 from ccokeman so its not part of the "$400". i'll admit i went alittle crazy with the loops but i couldn't decide.

for CPU i have the D-tek Fuzion v2 laying around

GPU: 2x Swiftech MCW80

Rads: 2x Swiftech MCR220

Pump: Swiftech MCP655 or Danger Den DD-CPX

Reservoir: any 5.25 Bay Reservoir with 1/2 support

what i also was thinknig was to move the 200mm fan from the top and put it the side to cool the Ram/Chipset/VGA. also the fan in the front will still be in.

I have this res and it's pretty nice for the price: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2184/ex-res-104/XSPC_525_Bay_Reservoir_-_Clear_Silver_Black.html?tl=g30c97s168 No reason to spend more when they are all essentially the same.

I'd go with the D5 vario over the CPX. A DDC would be a good choice as well but with your loop being pretty low restriction the D5 would be a better buy (and you can turn it down to make it *really* quiet).

Make sure you grab hose clamps - the cheap metal ones from FrozenCPU work well - make sure you get 3/4" OD clamps for 1/2" ID hose. If you're already shopping there pick up some biocide or a silver killcoil.

Dual 285s and a 4 GHz i7 will be pushing it on 120x4 with silent fans...you'll likely need to speed them up a bit to keep your water delta reasonable.

Ugh. I've spent so much time reading about watercooling in the past 2 weeks I feel like I know more than I do about aircooling at this point. :lol:

Edited by Waco

alright all set now i need help buying parts like a complete noob lol.

CPU Block: already have Dtek 1/2 barb

GPU Block: Generic Block

Pump: Swiftech MCP655-B

Reservoir: XSPC 5.25" Bay Reservoir

Radiator: 2x Swiftech MCR220

Barb: 6x Danger Den G 1/4" High Flow Thread Barb - 1/2" ID Correct ?

Tubing: Tygon B-44-4X 1/2" ID (3/4" OD) Right Tube and how much?

Clamps: 1/2" OD Reusable Clamp

Fluid: Fluid XP+ Nano-Fluid Liquid Cooling Fluid 32 oz.

am i missing stuff or people have better suggestions? also the MCR220 are out everywhere so maybe i can buy them direct from Swiftech.

IMO you need a 120.3 for your CPU(overclocked) and a 120.2 rad for the 2 x gpu's/// 1 x 120.2(double 120mm) Rad is not enough for your CPU.

Look at the XSPC RX360. great rad for about $100 and will suit your needs. If you go the 120.3 and the 120.2 route, get the RX240 for the GPU's...

***DO NOT GET DYED COOLANT***

It will clog your system over time. UV tubing with distilled water and PT Nuke is your cheapest and best choice.

The MCP655 by Liang(rebranded by swiftec) is one of the best and most used pumps at that price. You will not go wrong....

Edited by Drdeath